In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best libations.
Replete with oak, pecan, and pine trees, vintage bungalows, and ranches from the ‘30s, ‘40s, and ‘50s, and top-rated schools, this duo of neighborhoods has drawn in a steady crowd of young families. But that doesn’t mean the ‘burbs don’t have any cool factor, as these fun happy hour options prove.
Where to Happy Hour in Garden Oaks & Oak Forest
- Liberty Kitchen Garden Oaks – Happy hour is offered six days a week at this Garden Oaks outpost of Liberty Kitchen. Hit it to munch on $1 to $6 bites, including garlic parmesan oysters, sweet and hot flank ribs, and pimento cheese dip. Drinks run from $2 cans and drafts to $6 cocktails, including French 75s, sangria and blood orange margaritas. Monday through Friday 3pm to 6pm; Sunday 5pm to 9pm. Click here for directions.
- Shepherd Park Draught House – On nicer days, Shepherd Park’s wrap-around patio is the perfect spot to quench your thirst. Especially during happy hour, when the draught house offers $2 off all wine; $2 Lonestar, Shiner, Miller Lite, and Coors Light drafts; and $2 off all other draft beer. Enjoy some $1-off sea salt pretzels with honey butter, crispy goat cheese ravioli, fire roasted hummus with flatbread, and hot bbq or Thai chili wings, while you’re at it. Monday through Friday 3pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- The Union Kitchen – Global eats meet Southern hospitality at this neighborhood hangout. Things are so hospitable, in fact, that the kitchen offers happy hour specials seven days a week. Enjoy $5 bites like smoked chicken wings, tuna poke, crispy fried brussels sprouts, and Frito pie alongside $4 drafts, $5 wines, and $5 craft cocktails. Daily 3:30pm to 6:30pm (7pm for loyalty members). Click here for directions.
- Wakefield Crowbar – Over at Wakefield Crowbar, you’ll find 39 taps and three sand volleyball courts where you can unleash that competitive side, plus a weekday happy hour featuring $3 to $4 brews and an awesome lineup of daily specials. Smash $10 burger and beer combos on Monday Burger Night, get $15 ribeyes and $20 filets on Tuesday Steak Night, and get $12 mimosa pitchers and $20 Mexican beer buckets on Saturdays and Sundays. Monday through Friday 4pm to 8pm. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Get cheap and fancy beers at low-key dive Sassafras, which hosts fun events like steak night and bbq pop-ups; look out for specials like Date Night, Social Hour, and Grill Night at Plonk! Bistro; sip suds and play arcade games at Brash Brewing; chill out with happy hour beers and wine at Slowpokes; and enjoy 40-plus taps on the sprawling kid and pup-friendly patio at Cottonwood.