Be front and center for some of the most important games and sports events in Houston during September 2017.
Also in September 2017
Soccer and baseball seasons are on their way out in September as football begins to take its place.
Early on in the month, get a chance to give back in a high-profile college football matchup or running the Galveston Causeway for education charities.
This list has been updated to reflect scheduling changes due to Hurricane Harvey.
Top 8 Games & Sports Events: September 2017
- The 6th Annual Daily News Press Run 2017 at Galveston Island | Saturday, September 9 – The sixth annual run/walk event offers races for kids (1K) and adults (5k and 10k) to benefit programs that develop skills in the classroom using newspapers. Hosted by Texas’ oldest newspaper, the route crosses the lengthy bridge connecting the island to the mainland, giving runners expansive views of the bay. Registration for kid’s races is $15 with adult’s starting at $35 to $45, depending on course length.
- Houston Dynamo vs. Colorado Rapids at BBVA Compass Stadium | Saturday, September 9 – Legendary USA goalkeeper Tim Howard comes to town with a struggling Colorado team while the Dynamo sit around the top of the league table as playoffs near. Tickets are available from $25 to $107, but you may be able to find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s online resale market.
- Houston Texans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars at NRG Stadium | Sunday, September 10 – For many in Houston, this is the day they have been waiting for since last year – the opening of the NFL season. Week 1 gets started in Houston as the Jaguars offer up the first test of the year. You can find seats anywhere from $57 to over $450, but cheaper and better tickets might be available on TicketNetwork’s online resale market.
- Houston Astros vs. Seattle Mariners at Minute Maid Park | Saturday, September 16 – It’s Superhero Night at the ballpark and your favorite costumed characters are out as the Astros take on the Mariners. For the first 10,000 fans, a “Super Springer” bobblehead awaits. Remaining tickets range from $15 up to $100, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s online resale market.
- University of Houston Cougars vs. Rice University Owls at TDECU Stadium | Saturday, September 16 – The inner-city rivalry serves as the Cougars’ first home game in the new college football season. Pushing for a conference title, the Cougars hope to find themselves on a national level by season’s end – and could get started here. Tickets are $30, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s online resale market.
- Houston Dash vs. Chicago Red Stars at BBVA Compass Stadium | Saturday, September 23 – Playoff hopes might be on the table as the Dash close out their home matches against the Chicago Red Stars. Going out with a bang, the team is hosting Fan Appreciation Night to give their thanks for supporting the team throughout the season. Tickets range from $17 to $70.
- Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Angels at Minute Maid Park | Sunday, September 24 – The regular season journey of the Astros begins to wrap up with one last home game before the team heads out on the road to end the year. Fans in attendance receive a team poster and a 2018 schedule pen but fear not – this high-flying team will be back for the playoffs in October. Tickets are between $10 and $150, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s online resale market.
- Houston Dynamo vs. LA Galaxy at BBVA Compass Stadium | Wednesday, September 27 – Mexican brothers Giovani and Jonathan dos Santos along with Chelsea legend Ashley Cole highlight a Los Angeles team coming for a visit to one of the best teams in MLS. Tickets can be found starting at $25 up to $107 for the weeknight kickoff, but you may find cheaper or betters seats in TicketNetwork’s online resale market.
Be sure to subscribe to our free daily updates and weekend guide emails and receive our picks for great things to do in Houston in your inbox daily or once a week.
Click here to sign up.