Get out, do good, make a difference, and let your hair down during a very-different-than-expected Labor Day Weekend in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. Our completely revised, up-to-date Labor Day Houston Weekend Guide is here, Friday, September 1 through Labor Day, Monday, September 4, 2017.
It’s been a hell of a week. But now Houston’s mobilized, helping others, letting go of stress, and showing the country what fine stuff we’re made of.
Although there a number of previously scheduled events and shows continuing, you’ll find this weekend is packed with chances to help, donate, and enjoy some clear skies and shed stress to boot.
All events on this list have been confirmed by 365 Houston staff.
In our Calendar, most events listed have been marked as Canceled, Postponed, or Confirmed in their headline. Unmarked events appear to be continuing as planned, but we have not yet received confirmation, so it’s not a given that they’ll be happening if you show up.
Check below to find great (and good for the soul) things happening around Houston Labor Day Weekend, from Friday, September 1 through Labor Day, Monday, September 4, 2017.
Things to Do All Labor Day Weekend
- Kids’ Meals Donation Drive at Saint Arnold Brewing Company | FREE | Daily – The good folks at Saint Arnold’s have reopened their doors. And their accepting donations to help Kids’ Meals. Bring healthy snacks, small water bottles, protein bars, and/or gift cards for gas and your first beer is free through Labor Day, Monday, September 4. 11am to 10pm.
- Red Cross Donuts (Benefitting the JJ Watt Relief Fund) at Lee’s Fried Chicken and Donuts in The Heights | Daily (Until It Stops) – Be first in line to snag one of Lee’s highly sought after chocolate buttercream filled donuts. Just 200 available per day. All proceeds of the $2.50 donut will be donated (donuted?) to JJ Watt’s local fund (because that’s Lee for you). 7am until they’re gone.
- Houston Restaurant Weeks at Participating Restaurants Around Houston | Daily – Your dollars will help the Houston Food Bank now more than ever. Dine out for a good cause all month as part of this annual city-wide fundraiser for the Houston Food Bank. Restaurants will be offering prix fixe menus for brunch, lunch, and dinner. Times, prices, and locations vary. Call ahead to be sure your intended destination is open for business again after the storm.
- Special Family Style Menu at Holley’s Seafood Restaurant & Oyster Bar | Friday & Saturday – Holley’s Seafood Restaurant & Oyster Bar serves up a special 3-course family style menu including Chef Holley’s Fried Chicken. $35 per person. 5pm to 9pm each day.
- Free Shows at ComedySportz Houston & Hurricane Harvey Fundraiser | Friday & Saturday | FREE – Catch free family friendly comedy at the ComedySportz in EaDo, not far from the George R. Brown Convention Center. Donations for Harvey victims are encouraged. Friday 8pm; Saturday 4pm, 6pm and 8pm.
- Houston Astros vs. New York Mets at Minute Maid Park | Friday through Sunday – Root, root, root for the home team. The ‘stros are back from Tampa just in time to face off against the Mets. Tickets start at $15, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Friday 7:10pm; Saturday 6:10pm; Sunday 1:10pm.
- Houston Texans Tickets on Sale | Sponsored – Save on Texans home games with cheaper, better, or hard-to-get seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market.
- Houston Dynamo Tickets on Sale | Sponsored – Save on Dynamo games with cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market.
- Houston Astros Tickets on Sale | Sponsored – Save on Astros games with cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale mark
Friday, September 1, 2017
- Back to Hogwarts Day at Smallcakes Houston – Give the kiddos something to keep their minds off the last week with Harry Potter-themed cupcakes and a photobooth at Smallcakes. 10am to 8pm.
- Hurricane Harvey Donations for Kids’ Meals at Dan Electro’s – Join the team at Dan Electro’s and preparing lunches for kids in need from Hurricane Harvey. All lunches will be donated to Kids’ Meals. Noon to 3pm.
- FYP’s Hurricane Harvey Drive at Lincoln Bar Houston – The Filipino Young Professionals of Houston will be collecting toiletries, cleaning supplies, and nonperishable food items. The bar will also give a portion of their drink sales to its employees affected by Hurricane Harvey. Noon to 11pm.
- Labor Day Weekend Kick-Off Concert Featuring The Tontons at Historic Market Square | FREE – The show must go on. Although originally scheduled Walker Lukens had to cancel, the Tontons will be taking the stage for a free show at 7pm. Most historic Market Square bars and restaurants have also reopened after the storm. 6pm to 10pm.
- 1st Fridays Caribbean Style: Hurricane Harvey Relief Drive at Uptown Lounge – The group’s 13th anniversary party has morphed into a big hurricane relief effort. Canned goods, toiletries, diapers, and cash donations will be accepted. 6pm.
- Harvey Relief Effort on White Oak | No Cover – Local businesses on White Oak including Fitzgerald’s, Christian’s Tailgate, Onion Creek, Tacos A Go Go and more are collecting donations and money to donate to the American Red Cross for the victims of Hurricane Harvey. 6pm to Midnight.
- HTown Love Houston Benefit at Shoeshine Charley’s Big Top Lounge – Rock out all evening to Houston artists at a benefit concert packed with talent, including benefit concert for the victims of Hurricane Harvey with local acts such as Sherita Perez, DEM, Adam Bricks, and more. Cover at the door to be determined. 7pm.
- Giving Spirits Concert Benefiting The Alzheimer’s Association at Sugar Land Town Square | FREE – The show goes on. Enjoy live pop music from Genre Band and discover ways you can fund and support the Alzheimer’s Association at this event planned prior to Hurricane Katrina. 7:30pm to 9pm.
- The Shivas in Concert at Walter’s Downtown – Let loose to surf rock sounds out of Portland. $10. 8pm to 11:30pm
- Summer Sock Hop: ’50s & ’60s Dance Party at The Continental Club – The retro dance party is on. Bop your cares away at a costumes encouraged party on Mid Main. 9pm.
- More Great Things to Do All Labor Day Weekend Long – Some of the biggest things to do in Houston this weekend are happening all weekend long. Click here to scroll up and see our list.
Is your favorite event missing from our list? Add it in the comments below.