On Mondays, our My Top 5 series highlights a Houstonian who is shaping the culture of the city, and reveals how they like to explore Houston in their free time. This week, we’re pleased to feature Hillary Hart, executive director of Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS) in a special Theater District edition celebrating the free 24th annual Theater District Open House happening on Sunday, August 27, 2017.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Hillary Hart
- Exploring Houston’s vast restaurant scene – Whether it is Tiny Boxwoods for breakfast/brunch, Urban Eats for lunch, or Eloise Nichols for happy hour and a light nosh, I enjoy getting to know the Houston restaurant community and look forward to being introduced to new places all the time.
- Visiting the Houston Aquarium – Experiencing nature through the eyes of a child is always exciting and entertaining. My son’s fascination with all things oceanic makes the Houston Aquarium a perfect place to escape the heat of the summer and learn something new together. Feeding the stingrays is a favorite part of our visits.
- Houston sports – Although I’m not a native Houstonian, I am quickly developing an appreciation for Houston sports teams and the avid fan base that supports them. Baseball, in particular, is a large part of our family’s life, so we enjoy going to see the Astros play at Minute Maid Park. We are also looking forward to the official start of football season.
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo – What an experience! From the midway to the wine garden, the barrel racing to the mutton busting competitions — and let’s not forget the concerts each night! — there is something for the entire family to enjoy.
- City Hall Farmers Market – Location, location, location! This is so convenient to where I work, and with such an eclectic assortment of food trucks and farmer’s market fare, this is an easy favorite.
About Hillary Hart
Hillary Hart is the executive director of Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS), Houston’s leading nonprofit musical theatre company. Prior to coming to Theatre Under The Stars in January 2017, Hillary was the General Manager at the Guthrie Theatre in Minneapolis.
TUTS is one of the organizations taking part in the 24th Annual Theater District Open House on Sunday, August 27, from noon to 5pm. This free event, which kicks off the fall performing arts season in Houston, is a one-day-only opportunity to experience the energy and excitement of Houston’s Theater District.