Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, August 23 to Sunday, August 27, 2017.
Happening in Houston This Week
Also in August 2017
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- Havana Club Night at Belle Station – Havana comes to Belle Station in Midtown with live music, Cuban-inspired food and drinks, dancers, and even a cigar roller. Linen attire is encouraged. Cover charge at the door. The party goes from 4pm to 2am.
- Sundown at The Grove – Experience this festival-like event with music, food, beer and wine, and giveaways on the rooftop patio at The Grove. Tickets are $20. 5:30pm to 8pm.
- The Simpsons Trivia Night at Front Porch Pub – Show off what you know about Homer, Krusty Burgers, Duff Beer and more at this Simpsons-themed trivia night at Front Porch Pub. Tickets are $5. 6pm.
- Summer Soireé at Tootsies – The Women of Wardrobe and Tootsies present their annual Tootsies Summer Soireé. Sip on cocktails while you shop stylish and chic fashion designer, Parker, shoe icon, Schutz, and dazzling jewelry designer, Lisa Freede Designer. This event is for women only. This event is free for Women of Wardrobe members; $45 for pre-registered members; $50 for nonmembers. 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Molly Burch in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Singer-songwriter Molly Burch hits the stage with local opener Dollie Barnes at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $10. 7pm.
Thursday, August 24, 2017
- Princess Nokia in Concert at Warehouse Live – Experience visual art and live performances as hip hop artist Princess Nokia headlines the Unity Women’s Music & Art Show at Warehouse Live in East Downtown. Tickets are $45. 6:30pm.
- Houston Networking Social at Clé Houston – Grow your network, improve your skills with over 35 industries, and meet other local professionals at this Networking Social at Clé Houston Lounge. Tickets start at $10. 6:30pm.
- Wine 101 at The Nice Winery – Winemaker and Sommelier, Ryan Levy, will lead you through a wine tasting and a fun and informative class about wine enjoyment at The Nice Winery. Tickets are $65 per person. $52 for members. 6:30pm.
- The Here and Now in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Hear the Irish sounds of Austin-based band, The Here and Now, when they perform at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. Tickets are $20 in advance and $22 at the door. 7pm.
- The White Dress Party Fashion Show at Bar Bleu – Experience the exquisite side of the Upper Kirby night life and celebrate in style at The White Dress Party and Fashion Show at Bar Bleu. Fashionable nightlife attire is required and strictly enforced. Tickets range from $35 to $350. 7pm to 10pm.
- BarkHappy hosts Best in Show Movie Screening at Alabama Ice House – BarkHappy, an app to help find dog-friendly places, hosts a pup-inspired movie night of raffles, games, and a screening of Best in Show to benefit Adore Houston at Alabama Ice House. Tickets start at $12. 7pm to 10pm.
- Float & Flick Summer Movie Series: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off at Hotel Derek – Watch a screening of the ’80s flick, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off on a 3-story movie wall while sitting poolside and enjoying food and drinks from the Revolve Kitchen + Bar at Hotel Derek. Tickets are $20 and include a drink ticket and popcorn. 7:30pm.
- Seinfeld Trivia Night at D & T Drive Inn | No Cover – Test your knowledge of the infamous sitcom about nothing, Seinfeld, while sipping on Saint Arnold beer at D & T Drive Inn. 8pm to 10pm.
- DJ Branchez at Spire Houston – The New York-based producer and DJ Branchez spins dance music at Spire Houston night club in Downtown. $10 cover charge. 10pm.
Friday, August 25, 2017
- Afropolitan Houston: Style Wars at Fox Hollow – Dress to impress, connect with other professionals, and sip on cocktails at the Style Wars event at Fox Hollow. This event will feature a rich tapestry of African and Caribbean art expressions including artist performances, fashion, food, dance, art exhibition, spoken word and more. Free before 7pm with RSVP; $10 after 7pm; $20 after 8pm. 6pm to 10pm.
- Simple Plan in Concert at House of Blues – Catch pop rock band Simple Plan on their No Pads, No Helmets…Just Balls Tour at House of Blues. Tickets start at $25. 6pm.
- Rich Williams’ Joke Riot Comedy Show at The Secret Group – Spend the evening laughing at this monthly comedy show hosted by Rich Williams at The Secret Group. Tickets range from $20 to $40. 6:30pm.
- Blaze X Black in Concert at 8th Wonder Brewery | No Cover – Sip on a cold beer and catch local hip hop duo, Blaze X Black perform at 8th Wonder Brewery. 7pm to 10pm.
- The Illustration Show at Insomnia Gallery | No Cover – Head to Insomnia Gallery in the East End and see 12 local illustrators showcase their artworks. Complimentary refreshments will be available. 7pm to 11pm.
- Hamilton Loomis in Concert at Rockefellers Houston – Catch Texas-based blues singer-songwriter, Hamilton Loomis perform at Rockefellers with opener Kelly Doyle. Tickets are $12. 7pm.
- A Tribute to Prince at The Concert Pub North | No Cover – Honor the late purple one, Prince, when musical acts Aj Vallejo and SouthDown pay tribute to him at The Concert Pub North. 9pm.
- RuPaul’s Drag Race Kimora Blac at Scandalo Nite Club – See a performance from RuPaul’s Drag Race season 9 queen, Kimora Blac, at the LGBT-friendly venue, Scandalo Nite Club. Cover charge is $15. 9pm.
- Friday Night: Shred Your Ex at Drink Houston – Start anew by bringing a photo of your ex and shredding it at Drink Houston. This Friday Night party will also feature drinks for $3.25 before 11pm and plenty of DJ’s throughout the night to keep you dancing. Get in for free before 11pm with a photo of your ex. After 11pm it’s $10 for ladies and $15 for gentlemen. 9pm.
- Helter Skelter: ’80s Metal Party at Marquee Moon Lounge | No Cover – Break out the hairspray and spandex and take a trip to the ’80s metal era at this themed party at Marquee Moon Lounge. 10pm.
Saturday, August 26, 2017
- Live Your Life Off The Wall Day Party at The Davenport – Celebrate the king of pop, Micheal Jackson, at this tribute day party with DJ’s, drinks, food and more at The Davenport. This event is free with RSVP. 2pm to 9pm.
- Houston Professional Day Social at BLUEorange Gallery – The Houston Professional Day Social puts you face-to-face with some of the Houston area’s biggest movers and shakers in a relaxed and fun setting. This gathering at BLUEorange Contemporary Art Gallery features music, art, poetry, comedy, refreshments, cigars on the patio, and a free drink sample from one of the participating vendors. Tickets are $5, but you may be able to find comp tickets. 5pm to 8pm.
- Opening Reception: Bradley Kerl, Angel Oloshove, & Christopher Cascio at Galveston Arts Center | FREE – Galveston Arts Center presents three art exhibitions featuring local artists with talks about their work beginning at 6:30 PM. 6pm to 9pm.
- 2017 Soirée: Houston and Beyond at Hotel ZaZa – Mingle and dance at the Greater Houston Partnership’s 2017 Soirée, Houston and Beyond, a celebration of Houston’s interstellar legacy, the diversity of the global industries and the status as a dynamic city propelling beyond barriers at Hotel ZaZa. Tickets start at $300 per person. 7pm.
- Jazz & Poetry Night at The Alley Kat – Express yourself through poetry or sing a jazz tune at this open mic night at The Alley Kat Bar & Lounge in Midtown. Tickets start at $20. 7pm to 10pm.
- Wild Child: A Tribute to The Doors at House of Blues – Austin-based rock band, Wild Child, performs a tribute concert to the classic rock band, The Doors at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets start at $22.50. 8pm.
- Death Valley Girls in Concert at The Continental Club – Los Angeles-based punk group, Death Valley Girls, hits the stage at The Continental Club on Mid Main. Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door. 8pm to 11pm.
- Oliver Penn in Concert at Axelrad | No Cover – Blues rock singer-songwriter, Oliver Penn, hits the stage with his live band at Axelrad Beer Garden. 9:30pm to 10:30pm.
- The Late Show at Prohibition Supperclub & Bar – Step into the Roaring ’20s, when skirts were short and booze was a secret pleasure. The Moonlight Dolls and special guests perform classic and tasteful stripteases, plus vocalists, dancers, and aerialists showcasing their signature acts. Tickets are $40, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $24. 11:30pm.
Sunday, August 27, 2017
- Sunday Game Day at Eureka Heights Brew Co. | No Cover – Spend your Sunday Funday playing with friends as Tea & Victory hosts a board game day with more than 200 games to choose from at Eureka Heights Brew Co. Noon to 6pm.
- Hip Hop Flea Market at The Meridian | FREE with RSVP – The Hip Hop Flea Market will feature hard to find items from the ’80s or ’90s that were all staples in Hip Hop culture along with DJ’s, graffiti artists, vendors and more at The Meridian. This event is free to attend, but you must RSVP. 2pm to 7pm.
- DJ Goldfish at Clé Houston – Socialize, sip on cocktails, and dance to producer and DJ Goldfish’s beats by the pool Clé Houston Lounge. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. 2pm to 8pm.
- A Giant Dog in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Catch the Austin-based punk band, A Giant Dog, with local openers We Were Wolves at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $10 in advance and $11 the day of the show. 7pm to 11pm.
- Lost ’80s Live Concert at Smart Financial Centre – The Lost ’80s Live show is the longest running retro tour of its kind, bringing together some of the most recognizable acts of the ’80s for one night, on one stage, playing hit after hit. Musical acts include Tony Hadley formerly of Spandau Ballet, Berlin, Cutting Crew and more. Tickets start at $65. 7:30pm.