Feast your eyes on the colorful cloth sculpture Arcade, created by The Color Collective and installed at spots along Avenida Houston though Wednesday, November 15, 2017.
Situated between Discovery Green and the George R. Brown Convention Center, Avenida Houston’s walkable plaza has already been charming locals and visitors since it opened before the Super Bowl.
Now it promises to become even more popular, boasting Discovery Green’s newest public art installation.
Designed by Texas-based artist duo Sunny Sliger and Marianne Newsom of The Color Condition, Arcade is a series of dynamic streamer sculptures. Think many colorful clothes, curtains, tablecloths interacting and dancing in the wind.
The Color Condition’s Arcade (in Three Installations)
For their debut work in Houston, The Color Condition took the word “play” and figuratively ran with it, installing three separate exhibits along the Avenida.
The art works are all made from vividly colorful strips of table cloths, shower curtains, and painters drop cloth. They shift, blow, sway, dangle, responding to the environment.
Each gust of wind and change of light creates spontaneous new patterns and movements.
- Hopscotch – This dense installation of colorful tied clothes woven amidst Discovery Green’s loblolly pine trees creates a dense overhead passageway extending the length of Maconda’s Grove. It then “hops” and continues across the street. A mirroring installation will hang over The Wharf in front of George R. Brown Convention Center. With the help of LED lights, the two sculptures come alive at night and create a luminous, colorful canopy.
- Double Dutch – Taking its cue from the playground jumping rope game, the whimsical Double Dutch is suspended above three lanes of Avenida de las Americas, between the park and the George R. Brown.
- Red Rover – Finally, this third installation skirts light poles across the entire front of the George R. Brown with punches of color, enticing park visitors to “come over.”
Color the Ave on Saturday, September 9, 2017
Both Discovery Green and Houston First, who jointly commissioned the piece, will celebrate Arcade at a free event Color the Ave on Saturday, September 9, 2017.
Expect a site-specific dance performance by Karen Stokes Dance Company, live music, a wearable art workshop, an aerial performance off the George R. Brown by VauLT, and more.
Avenida de las Americas will be closed to vehicular traffic during several points throughout the installation of Arcade so that visitors may stroll the Avenida and enjoy the sculptures from street level.
The street will be closed Saturday, August 19 through Tuesday, September 4. Then again from Friday, October 6 through Sunday, October 8, and finally from Friday, November 3 through Sunday, November 5.
The Avenida Central Garage underneath Discovery Green will remain open.
Arcade by The Color Condition on Avenida Houston
- Dates: Daily through Wednesday, November 15, 2017
- Times: Daily 6am to 11pm
- Location: 1001 Avenida De Las Americas, Houston, TX 77010
- Admission: Free to visit along with Discovery Green and Avenida Houston