Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, August 9 to Sunday, August 13, 2017.
Happening in Houston This Week
Also in August 2017
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Dead Rock Star Sing-A-Long Club Concert at The Rec Room | Thursday to Saturday – Rec Room Arts presents its own twist on the summer musical. Dead Rock Star Sing-A-Long Club is an annual performance that pays tribute to beloved musicians who have recently passed away. This year’s show honors the musical genius of George Michael and Sharon Jones. This upbeat musical eulogy is part concert, part theater, and a total celebration at the Rec Room. Tickets are $20;$15 with a student ID. 8pm each day.
- Super Heroes vs. Villains Pub Crawl in Midtown | Friday to Sunday – Put on your cape, grab a drink, and raise money for the Houston Food Bank during this 3-day Pub Crawl in Midtown. 7pm to 11pm Friday; 3pm to 10pm Saturday; Noon to 6pm Sunday.
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
- Sundown at The Grove – Experience this festival-like event with music, food, beer and wine, and giveaways on the rooftop patio at The Grove. Tickets are $20. 5:30pm to 8pm.
- Summer Paint Party at Houston Museum of African American Culture – The Houston Museum of African American Culture hosts a painting class where you can recreate an original painting created by their featured 2017 artist Vernon Akili. Tickets are $20. 7pm to 9pm.
- The Office Trivia Night at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Under the Radar Brewery tests your knowledge of Jim, Pam, Michael Scott, and the rest of the gang on the TV show, The Office. Enjoy $3 craft beers and participate in this trivia night for prizes. 7pm to 10pm.
- Los Texmaniacs in Concert at Under the Volcano | No Cover – San Antonio-based band Los Texmaniacs bring their Tex-Mex sound to Under the Volcano in the Rice Village. 8pm to 11pm.
- Bingo Booze Night at Pimlico Irish Pub | No Cover – Get together with friends and yell “Bingo!” while enjoying a cold beer at Pimlico Irish Pub. 8pm to 10pm.
- Karaoke at The Secret Group | No Cover – Have a night out with friends, drinks, and music as The Secret Group venue and bar hosts a karaoke night every Wednesday. 9:30pm.
Thursday, August 10, 2017
- Happy Hour Thursdays at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston | No Cover – Bring your friends to a museum-style happy hour and enjoy the exhibitions, bites from food trucks, and specialty cocktails at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. 5pm to 8pm.
- Nirvana Open Mic Night at Wonky Power Live – Sing your best cover of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and honor the legacy of Kurt Cobain at this Nirvana Open Mic Night at Wonky Power Live. $5. 6pm to midnight.
- Rick and Morty Trivia Night at Drink of Ages Pub | No Cover – Show off your knowledge of sci-fi animated show Rick and Morty at this Trivia Night at Drink of Ages Pub. 8pm to 11pm.
- Thursday Pop-Up with Chefs Kelli Prescott & Kenten Marin at Glitter Karaoke – Independent Chef Kelli Prescott and Chef Kenten Marin from Heights Bier Garten host a 4-course Thursday dinner pop-up at Glitter Karaoke. Tickets for the dinner are $42. 8pm.
- Sol Y Motion in Concert at Belle Station | No Cover – See the alternative reggae, funk, and rock band Sol Y Motion perform at Belle Station in Midtown. 8pm.
- Ryan Caraveo in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Singer and musician Ryan Caraveo hits the stage at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $10 in advance and $13 the day of. 8pm to 10pm.
- Latin Thursdays at Belvedere Lounge in Uptown – Mix and mingle with the fashionably dressed at the lounge and nightclub inside Uptown Park. The popular weekly series features tunes by DJ Little Martin and DJ Pollo. DJ Mishka spins on the patio and there will be live saxophone by Eddie Akmetchine. Cover may vary. 9pm.
- Throwback Thirsty Thursdays at Henke & Pillot – Dance to all of your favorite songs and remixes of the ’80s, ’90s, and early 2000’s at this throwback night at Henke & Pillot. Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
Friday, August 11, 2017
- Ice Cream Social & Pop Up Market at East End Street Market – Enjoy food, live music, local artisan vendors, and of course, ice cream on this hot summer day, all while benefitting teachers in the East End. You can bring an item on the supply list for teachers for free ice cream. 6pm to 10pm.
- Mixers & Elixirs at Houston Museum of Natural Science – Don’t miss your chance to mingle with the dinosaurs, as the museum opens up for a night of music, dancing, cocktails, food trucks, and fun. Tickets are $25; $15 for museum members. 7pm to 10pm.
- Washed Out in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – See the synth pop band Washed Out perform songs off their new album Mister Mellow at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets start at $18.50. 8pm.
- That Thing You Do Movie Screening at Market Square Park | FREE – Bring your blankets and lawn chairs, grab a spot on the lawn and watch The Wonders hit the big time in the ’60s inspired movie That Thing You Do starring Tom Hanks in the heart of Downtown. 8pm.
- Zenteno Spirit in Concert at D&W Lounge | No Cover – Catch the local Latin jazz and salsa band, Zenteno Spirit, in concert at D&W Lounge. 8pm.
- Improv Night with Friends of BARC at Station Theater – Laugh it up when this local Improv Team performs to raise funds for Friends of Barc at Station Theater. $6 in advance and $8 at the door. 8:30pm to 10:30pm.
- DJ Laidback Luke at Stereo Live – Dance to techno and underground house music as DJ and producer Laidback Luke spins his mixes at Stereo Live nightclub. $15. 9pm.
Saturday, August 12, 2017
- Summer Studios Opening & Community Market at Project Row Houses | FREE – See the new works and installations of the artists in residence while enjoying a community market full of local vendors at Project Row Houses in Third Ward. 4pm to 7pm.
- Opening Reception: On the Verge at Archway Gallery | FREE – Archway Gallery presents On the Verge, an art show featuring paintings by Susan Spjut and photography by Michael Bonagurio. Don’t miss the artist talk during the opening at 6:30pm. 5pm to 8pm.
- Lil Yachty in Concert at Warehouse Live – See the bubble gum rapper Lil Yachty play songs off of his new album, Teenage Emotions, at Warehouse Live. Tickets start at $29.50. 6:30pm.
- DJ Night: Les Femmes at Axelrad | No Cover – Houston’s all-female DJ rendezvous, Las Femmes, hosts a dance party at Axelrad Beer Garden. 7pm to midnight.
- Sean McConnell in Concert at The Heights Theatre – Hear the folk country sounds of singer-songwriter Sean McConnell at The Heights Theatre. Tickets start at $22. 7:30pm.
- ComedySportz Houston at CSz Arena – If you like the TV show Whose Line Is It Anyway? then you’ll love ComedySportz Houston, a fast-paced comedy show that’s suitable for the whole family, now running at the CSz Arena. Tickets are $20, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $10. 8pm.
- Mojave Red Cassette Release at The Continental Club – The local 3-piece psych pop band, Mojave Red, plays a show for their new cassette release at The Continental Club. $8 at the door. 8pm.
- International Saturdays at Belvedere Lounge in Uptown – Mix and mingle with the fashionably dressed at the lounge and nightclub inside Uptown Park, with tunes spun by DJ ND. Cover may vary. Call 713-426-5840 to make a table reservation. 9pm.
- RuPaul’s Drag Race: Laganja and Gia Gunn at South Beach – Get sickening as RuPaul’s Drag Race contestants Laganja Estranja and Gia Gunn perform at the LGBT-friendly nightclub South Beach. Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
Sunday, August 13, 2017
- Pints & Puppies at 8th Wonder Brewery – Bring your four-legged friends over to Pints & Puppies where a portion of the proceeds will go toward local charities supporting dog rescue at 8th Wonder Brewery. Early bird tickets are $10; $15 online; $20 at the door. 1pm to 4pm.
- DJ Robin Schulz at Clé Houston – Spend your Sunday afternoon sitting poolside and enjoying music from Germany-based DJ and producer Robin Schulz at Clé Houston Lounge. Tickets are $20. 2pm to 8pm.
- Fan-Tastic Sunday Funday at Rich’s | No Cover – Spend your Sunday Funday evening with performances, DJ’s, and drink specials at the LGBT-friendly nightclub, Rich’s in Midtown. 5pm to 10:30pm.
- Jazz Cubano in Concert at Axelrad | No Cover – Enjoy a jazz session full of Afro-Cuban beats with a performance from Jazz Cubano at the Axelrad beer garden. 6pm to 9pm.
- My Name Is Chinedu at Houston Improv – Stand up comedian Chinedu hosts his show, My Name is Chinedu, along with special guests Phill Wade, Roxxy Haze, and Andy Huggins at the Houston Improv. $12. 7:30pm.