Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during August 2017.
Also in August 2017
Take advantage of your last few weeks of summer by kicking of the Texans’ preseason at NRG, enjoying a meal from various Houston Restaurant Weeks menus in support of the Houston Food Bank, rocking out at a concert featuring top talent, shopping around at White Linen Night in The Heights and more at these can’t-miss events in Houston this August.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of August, with the daily option closing out the list.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston this Month: August 2017
- Houston Restaurant Weeks at Participating Restaurants Around Houston | Daily – Dine out for a good cause all month as part of this annual city-wide fundraiser for the Houston Food Bank. Restaurants will be offering prix fixe menus for brunch, lunch, and dinner.
- James Taylor in Concert at Toyota Center | Tuesday, August 1 – Legendary singer-songwriter, Grammy Award-winning artist, and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member James Taylor will grace Houston with a performance at Toyota Center.
- Indian Summer Pop Up at Pondicheri | Friday, August 4 – Be transported to India at this Pondicheri pop up where you’ll feast on authentic Indian street food.
- Lionel Richie and Mariah Carey in Concert at Toyota Center | Friday, August 4 – Music icons Lionel Richie and special guest Mariah Carey are touring together for the first time and bringing their All The Hits Tour to Houston for a show.
- White Linen Night in the Heights | Saturday, August 5 – Put on your whites and head to 19th Street for an evening shopping, food, art, drinks, live music and more at the 11th annual White Linen Night in the Heights.
- Southern Fried Chicken Fest at Levy Park | Saturday, August 12 – Stuff your face with fried chicken at this festival showcasing live music, a hot sauce competition, wing eating contest, and creative takes on Southern fried chicken from local food vendors.
- Sacred Music Sacred Dance for World Healing at Asia Society Texas Center | Saturday, August 12 – Witness a performance from the multiphonic singers of Tibet’s Drepung Loseling Monastery, who will play traditional instruments and perform ancient dances at Asia Society.
- Broc Cellars Wine Dinner at The Pass & Provisions | Wednesday, August 16 – The Pass & Provisions will host California winemaker Chris Brockway of Broc Cellars for a six-course wine dinner.
- Houston Astros vs. Oakland Athletics at Minute Maid Park | Friday, August 18 to Sunday, August 20 – Get loud for the Astros when they take the field to play the A’s in three games fresh off a two game series against Arizona at Minute Maid Park. Arrive early for special freebies as part of Legends Weekend celebrating the 20th anniversary of the 1997 Division Champion team.
- The Houston Food Fest at Hermann Square | Saturday, August 19 – Head Downtown to sample food from more than 50 local vendors and jam to live music from acts like Soul Creatures and Ruben Moreno & Zydeco Re-evolution at The Houston Food Fest.
- Houston Texans Preseason Games at NRG Stadium | Starts Saturday, August 19 – The Texans will play their first home preseason game against the champs of Super Bowl LI, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots, before facing the Dallas Cowboys at the end of August at NRG.
- Instagram Scavenger Hunt with Bayou Buddies | Thursday, August 24 – Get out your smartphone and explore the trails of Buffalo Bayou Park with your team as you solve clues, snap photos, and use hashtags to complete the Instagram scavenger hunt.
- Catapult: Dance Meets Design at the Hobby Center | Friday, August 25 and Saturday, August 26 – Experience a dance performance “with a dash of cirque” from Houston company NobleMotion at one of two shows at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts’ Zilkha Hall.
- Pearland Wine and Food Festival at Pearland Town Center | Saturday, August 26 – Sip on vino from Texas wineries during this annual festival in Pearland. Hosted by Dionisio Winery, the event features live music, local food, and award-winning wine.
- 24th Annual Theater District Open House in Downtown Houston | Sunday, August 27 | CANCELLED – Update 2/24/17: Due to expected severe weather, this event has been cancelled this year. Ticket specials may still be available directly from participating groups by phone or online. Experience the thriving performing arts scene in Houston during this one-day, free and open to the public event showcasing live performances, discounted ticket offers, and behind-the-scenes tours.
Be sure to subscribe to our free daily updates and weekend guide emails and receive our picks for great things to do in Houston in your inbox daily or once a week.
Click here to sign up.