Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, August 2 to Sunday, August 6, 2017.
Happening in Houston This Week
Also in August 2017
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Dead Rock Star Sing-A-Long Club Concert at The Rec Room | Thursday to Saturday – Rec Room Arts presents its own twist on the summer musical. Dead Rock Star Sing-A-Long Club is an annual performance that pays tribute to beloved musicians who have recently passed away. This year’s show honors the musical genius of George Michael and Sharon Jones. This upbeat musical eulogy is part concert, part theater, and a total celebration at the Rec Room. Tickets are $20;$15 with a student ID. 8pm each day.
Wednesday, August 2, 2017
- Spritz Happy Hour at Camerata at Paulie’s | No Cover – Cool down with one of Camerata’s home-spun wine spritzers at this Happy Hour. 5pm to 7pm.
- Sundown at The Grove – Experience this festival-like event with music, food, beer and wine, and giveaways on the rooftop patio at The Grove. Tickets are $20. 5:30pm to 8pm.
- Cody Canada and Mike McClure in Concert at Dosey Doe Big Barn – See the country singer-songwriters, Cody Canada and Mike McClure at Dosey Doe in The Woodlands. Tickets start at $20. 5:30pm.
- E.H. Taylor Whiskey Class at Julep – Learn from E.H. Taylor’s own Brett Keen at this whiskey tasting featuring a specially curated welcome cocktail, 4 E.H. Taylor whiskeys, and small bites at Julep. Cost of this class is $45. 6:30pm to 9pm.
- Pint & Bingo Night at Down the Street | No Cover – Deep Ellum Brewing Company hosts a bingo night where you can enjoy Dallas Blonde and PlayDate (Sour Blonde) available on draft, Deep Ellum IPA and Dream Crusher in cans, and a side of Buttz Gourmet Food Truck pulled pork sandwiches at Down the Street. 7pm to 10pm.
- Vintage Vinyl Night at Lei Low Bar | No Cover – Vinal Edge Records goes to Lei Low Bar, a Hawaiian-themed cocktail bar, to spin nothing but vinyl. 8pm.
- Karaoke at The Secret Group | No Cover – Have a night out with friends, drinks, and music as The Secret Group venue and bar hosts a karaoke night every Wednesday. 9:30pm.
Thursday, August 3, 2017
- IPA Day at Houston Flying Saucer | No Cover – Choose from dozens of IPAs from Texas and beyond including Brash Brewing, Alpine Beer Company, Eureka Heights Brew Co, Real Ale Brewing Company, Green Flash Brewing Co. and more for IPA Day at Houston Flying Saucer. 11am to midnight.
- Happy Hour Thursdays at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston | No Cover – Bring your friends to a museum-style happy hour and enjoy the exhibitions, bites from food trucks, and specialty cocktails at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. 5pm to 8pm.
- King’s Cares at King’s BierHaus | No Cover – The Heights bierhaus will continue its charity initiative, King’s Cares, which donates 20 percent of the first Thursday of the month’s proceeds to a local charity nominated by you. Hit it to enjoy Thursday specials including 50 percent off all bottles of wines, $5 bites, $6 signature drafts, $7 cocktails, and reverse happy hour. 5pm to 10pm.
- The Strokes Open Mic Night at Wonky Power Live – Perform your favorite Strokes songs by yourself or with a band at this open mic night honoring the early 2000s indie rockers at Wonky Power Live. Cover charge is $5. 6pm to midnight.
- Movers and Shakers Networking Mixer at Ogun Art + Wine | No Cover – The Movers & Shakers of Greater Houston host their monthly networking mixer at Ogun Art + Wine where you can meet with other professionals. 6pm to 9pm.
- Young Patrons Lawn Party at CAMH | No Cover – Preview the upcoming calendar of events, mingle with Young Patrons members, enjoy tunes by DJ RAMALAMA, play games on the lawn, and sip on refreshments at CAMH. 6pm to 8pm.
- Latin Thursdays at Belvedere Lounge in Uptown – Mix and mingle with the fashionably dressed at the lounge and nightclub inside Uptown Park. The popular weekly series features tunes by DJ Little Martin and DJ Pollo. DJ Mishka spins on the patio and there will be live saxophone by Eddie Akmetchine. Cover may vary. 9pm.
- Throwback Thirsty Thursdays at Henke & Pillot – Dance to all of your favorite songs and remixes of the ’80s, ’90s, and early 2000’s at this throwback night at Henke & Pillot. Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
- DJ TM88 at Stereo Live – Dance the night away when Atlanta-based DJ and producer TM88 hits the stage at Stereo Live. $10. 9pm.
Friday, August 4, 2017
- 2017 Art League Houston Student Exhibition | No Cover – Art League Houston presents the annual 2017 ALH Student Exhibition, a group exhibition featuring works in jewelry, drawing, mixed-media, ceramics, print-making, and painting by students who participated in classes at the Art League School during the past year. 6pm to 9pm.
- Incubus in Concert at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Incubus, Jimmy Eat World, and Judah and the Lion will take the stage at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion for this summer concert. Tickets start at $29.95. 6:45pm.
- Lionel Richie and Mariah Carey in Concert at Toyota Center – Multi-platinum-selling, multiple Grammy Award-winning music icons Lionel Richie and Mariah Carey hit the stage for a concert filled with decade-spanning hits at the Toyota Center. Tickets start at $39.95, not including ticket fees, but you may find discounted tickets. 7pm.
- The Moonlight Dolls present the Premiere of Provocateur – Featuring exuberant and seductive neo-burlesque performances from Houston’s world-famous Moonlight Dolls, the show celebrates and visits the European’s most compelling destinations from Downtown. Tickets range from $20 to $59, based on seating, plus a $45 three course prix-fixe meal. 7pm and 9:30pm.
- Kay Weathers in Concert at 8th Wonder Brewery | No Cover – Catch Austin-based singer-songwriter Kay Weathers at 8th Wonder Brewery. 7pm to 10pm.
- 2 Chainz in Concert at House of Blues – Catch hip hop artist 2 Chainz on his Pretty Girls Like Trap Music Tour at House of Blues. Tickets start at $42.50. 7pm.
- Ancient Cat Society in Concert at Red Brick Tavern – See the local folk trio, Ancient Cat Society, at the Red Brick Tavern in Conroe. Cover charge is $8. 7pm to 11:30pm.
- Improv Comedy: Supernova + Loterìa at Station Theatre – Laugh it up when Station Theater’s signature Improv group, Supernova, hits the stage with special guests. Tickets are $6. 8:30pm to 10pm.
Saturday, August 5, 2017
- Beyond The Pines Music Festival at Sam Houston Race Park – This music festival will feature multi-award winner Ryan Bingham along with Vintage Trouble, Anderson East, Jon Wolfe, Cody Chestnutt, Stevie Starlight, Polaroid Summer, Shotgun Rider, The Madisons, Bad News Band, and more. Tickets are $38 in advance; $55 at the door; $150 for VIP. Begins at 2pm.
- I Want It All: Fashion Show at 1919 Wine & Mixology – Enjoy a fashion show with international and local designers, entertainers, and more at 1919 Wine & Mixology. Tickets are $25 and $40 for VIP. 4:30pm to 8:30pm.
- White Linen Night in the Heights 2017 | No Cover – Don your finest white linen pants (or shorts) for the best block party of the summer, featuring pop-up shops, local art vendors, eats, and drinks. The 200 and 300 blocks of 19th are where the official event takes place, though you’ll find unofficial events, boozy parties, and specials at bars and restaurants all over The Heights. 6pm to 10pm.
- Steel Magnolias Movie Party at Alamo Drafthouse Mason Park – Tease up your hair, grab your bestie, and enjoy this special interactive screening of Steel Magnolias, where you can laugh, cry, and quote along with the fiercest females in the South. Tickets are $12.99. 7pm.
- Queen + Adam Lambert in Concert at Toyota Center – Brian May and Roger Taylor, with the help of Adam Lambert, will bring the songs of Queen back to life at this high energy concert at Toyota Center. Expect to hear classics like “Another One Bites the Dust” and “Bohemian Rhapsody”. Tickets start at $49.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- International Saturdays at Belvedere Lounge in Uptown – Mix and mingle with the fashionably dressed at the lounge and nightclub inside Uptown Park, with tunes spun by DJ ND. Cover may vary. Call 713-426-5840 to make a table reservation. 9pm.
- Boys Don’t Cry: A Tribute to The Cure Concert at Scout Bar – Dance to the classic songs by the ’80s band, The Cure, with the tribute band, Boys Don’t Cry at Scout Bar. Tickets are $10. 10pm.
Sunday, August 6, 2017
- National Root Beer Float Day at Saint Arnold Brewery | No Cover – Bring the whole family to the brewery to sip on floats made with Saint Arnold root beer and a scoop of Mexican vanilla ice cream from Fat cat Creamery and get a souvenir plastic cup. Special adult variations of the float will be available, along with the full lineup of beer and kid-friendly food options from the kitchen. 2pm to 5pm.
- High Tea with DJ Chris Zane at Hamburger Mary’s | No Cover – Spend your Sunday evening sipping on $1 mimosas and $8 pitchers of Bloody Mary’s while DJ Chris Zane spins diva jams at Hamburger Mary’s. 4pm to 8pm.
- Waxahatchee in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Katie Crutchfield, also known as the pop punk act Waxahatchee, hits the stage at White Oak Music Hall with openers Palehound and Outer Spaces. Tickets start at $15. 7pm.
- Brian McKnight & Lyfe Jennings in Concert at Arena Theatre – Catch two of R&B’s most legendary singers, Brian McKnight and Lyfe Jennings at the Arena Theatre. Tickets start at $49.50. 8:30pm.
- 3rd Annual It’s Just Rap Fest at Warehouse Live – See local hip hop acts like JC Seals III, Native Paradise, Military Minded G, and a lot more at the It’s Just Rap Fest at Warehouse Live. Tickets are $10 in advance; $15 at the door and $25 for VIP. 9pm.