In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best libations.
Just about an hour from Houston, Galveston Island harbors 32 miles of beaches, so you most definitely can (and should) dip your toes in the sand. It also plays home to major fun zones like Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn Waterpark. But that’s not all there is to do on this Gulf Coast oasis, there’s also a thirst-quenching happy hour.
Where to Happy Hour in Galveston
- BLVD Seafood – Hit this bright and modern beachfront bistro to sip $6 cocktails, including coconut margs, rumaritas, and house mudslides. Beers will run you $3 to $4, while cocktails are $4 to $5, and house wines are $5 by the glass. Enjoy it all along with $7 shareable plates, from heirloom tomatoes with goat cheese and pesto to Dungeness crab cakes and smoked salmon crostini. Monday through Friday 3pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Lucky Lounge – Looking to escape the heat? Join the locals and get down with this neighborhood dive’s weekly specials, including Martini Mondays, Taco Tuesdays, Trivia Thursdays, Friday Ladies Nights, and a “Sunday Bloody Sunday” complete with a Bloody Mary Bar. Daily specials. Click here for directions.
- Olympia the Grill at Pier 21 – This Greek-inspired oceanic grill offers $5 to $9 happy hour bites, like Greek-style nachos, sesame salmon, avocado hummus, and seared Ahi tuna. Wash it all down with $3 wines by the glass, $2.50 to $3 beers, and $3 to $5 cocktails; and look out for daily specials, including Mojito Monday, Tini Tuesday, and Mango Madness Thursdays. Monday through Friday 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Riondo’s – Happy hour runs six days a week at this Italian spot. Just sit at the bar and patio and enjoy $5 bites—think fried ravioli and calamari, fruit and cheese plates, meatballs, and mini pizettes—alongside cheap drinks, including $2 domestics, $2-off wines by the glass, $3 wells, $5 martinis and more. Sunday through Friday 3pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Rum Shack – This airy beachfront palapa bar boasts a roster of rum and tropical cocktails for your drinking pleasure. Feel the island vibe with cheap beer specials, $4 frozen mojitos and $6 shrimp cocktails, crispy calamari, chicken tinga nachos, and bacon-wrapped, pepper jack-stuffed shrimp. On Sundays, frozen mojitos are $4 all day long. Monday through Friday 3pm to 7pm. Click here for directions. And be sure to pop over to sibling concepts, Tiki Bar, Sideyard, Squeeze and The Spot, which share the location.
- Other great options – Class things up at the Tremont House‘s rooftop bar, which boasts a sophisticated Friday Social Club; hit the bar and terrace at Number 13 Prime Steak & Seafood for butter-soaked mussels and steak sliders; stay cool with $1.25 to $3 beers, wells, and ‘ritas at Float Pool Bar; get schnitzels and craft flights at Stuttgarden Tavern On the Strand; grab $5 apps and $2 to $6 sips at Nick’s; get rum-soaked at DTO; and unwind with nachos and frozen margs at Taquilo’s Tex Mex Cantina.