Grab your popcorn and enjoy an outdoor movie-going experience with five of our favorite free summer movie series around Greater Houston in summer 2017.
If you’ve ever found yourself longing for more than the run-of-the-mill popcorn flick environment, you’re in luck.
Sit back, relax, and silence your cell phone as we transport you to five outdoor movie series, each sure to deliver its own unique experience.
5 Free Outdoor Summer Movie Series in Houston
- Market Square Park in Downtown – Set in the heart of Downtown, Alamo Drafthouse Rolling Roadshow along with Houston’s historic Market Square Park presents the free monthly Movies at Market Square Park series. Curated by Alamo Drafthouse, this movie series is perfect for those looking to catch cult favorites, timeless classics, and other quirky mainstays in an outdoor setting without having to leave the city. Bounded by Milam, Preston, Travis, and Congress, the one square block park allows blankets, lawn chairs, food, and non-alcoholic beverages anytime, including park events. Alcohol is not allowed to be brought into the park; beer and wine is sold at Niko Niko’s –grab some tasty Greek and American food while you’re at it for a next-level movie-snacking experience. This film series is 18 and up; Children 6 and up will be allowed only with an adult. No children under the age of 6 are allowed. Click here for a calendar of upcoming movies. Click here for the Alamo Drafthouse calendar of upcoming movies.
- Pearland Town Center in Pearland – Located near the intersection of Highway 288 and Broadway/FM 518, the Pearland Town Center plays host to family-friendly flicks with their Outdoor Family Movie Night Series. Visitors are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets to set up under the Memorial Hermann Pavilion in the Town Center (located near H&M). If you come hungry, Duron Kettle typically set up and sling kettle corn and other snacks to enjoy during the movie. Movies begin at dusk (between 7pm to 7:30pm). Click here for a calendar of upcoming movies. Click here for weather updates and additional information.
- Central Green Park in Katy – Only a short drive from the Energy Corridor and West Houston, this half-acre park located off Cinco Ranch Boulevard in Katy sticks with family-friendly movies in their summertime film series. Get your animated film fix with showings like Lilo & Stitch, The Good Dinosaur, Monsters Inc. and more all summer long. Most movies begin at dusk. Ample parking is available in nearby garages and on the streets within LaCenterra. Click here for a calendar of upcoming movies.
- GreenStreet in Downtown – Located in the heart of Downtown in the GreenStreet mixed-use development, Friday Flicks on The Lawn features a fun lineup of date night-friendly movies through November. Set on The Lawn, a central open-air green space, the movie area is surrounded by three-city blocks of shopping, dining, and entertainment options, so you’ll find no shortage of stuff to get into pre and post-movie. Check out III Forks or McCormick & Schmick’s for food before and try Lucky Strike for some late night bowling afterward. Blankets and lawn chairs are welcome. Click here for a calendar of upcoming movies.
- Miller Outdoor Theatre in the Museum District – Bring the family, friends, a few blankets, and a picnic to enjoy a great movie under the stars at this Museum District mainstay. Set atop the lush, grassy hill of Hermann Park, the Movies at Miller series features a mixed bag of screenings throughout the summer with plenty of family-friendly, classic, and popcorn action-adventure flicks to keep everyone happy. What’s more, the scenic environment of catching an evening film atop the massive hill is such a fun way to take in a flick (if it isn’t too hot outside), that it almost doesn’t matter what’s showing. And if it is too hot, there’s also free ticketed covered seating availalable at the nearby box office the day-of the screenings. Click here for a calendar of upcoming movies. Click here for a full menu from the nearby concession stand.