In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods and communities for the very best libations.
This booming commercial district boasts a bevy of restaurants, boutiques, and thriving businesses, with gems lining every nook and cranny. And as luck would have it, many of those gems offer thirst-quenching happy hours.
Where to Happy Hour in Greenway & Upper Kirby
- Arnaldo Richards’ Picos – Happy hour makes this crowd-pleaser even more pleasing. That’s when you can sip $7 ritas, rum punches, bourbon sours, mojitos, and wines by the glass; get $3 beers and turn them into micheladas for another $1 or shandies for another $4; and nosh on shareable Mexican eats, from queso blanco and cochinita pibil (Yucatan-style slow-roasted pork) loaded nachos to roasted street corn and fresh snapper and Gulf shrimp ceviche. Monday and Tuesday 3pm to 7pm; Wednesday through Friday 3pm to 6:30pm. Click here for directions.
- Kata Robata – This fan-favorite sushi spot offers way more than just impeccably well-balanced sushi and razor-sharp cuts of sashimi, it also offers daily happy hour and specials. Enjoy cheap bites like pork belly buns, kobe beef tacos, and spicy salmon rolls, plus great deals like Monday’s half-price wines by the glass, Tuesday’s half-price sake flights, and Sundays $3 mimosas. Monday through Saturday 5pm to 6:30pm; Sunday noon to 5pm (plus daily specials). Click here for directions.
- Kirby Ice House – Get an early start on happy hour at this popular ice house. With food trucks in the sprawling yard, a huge indoor space for hotter days, and 50 cent-off drinks (minus high-end liquors), it’s one of the chillest hangouts in town. Look out for daily specials like $1 off pints on Tuesdays, steak night and $3 Texas beers on Wednesdays, $4 frozens, and $6 wines on Thursdays. Monday through Friday 2pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Oporto Café – Hit this sultry wine café for cheap drinks and tapas during weekday happy hour. House reds and whites are just $5, while cava, caipirinhas, margaritas, mojitos, and red or white sangrias are $6. Or go for full bottles of wine, which can be had for 15 percent off. All of it pairs beautifully with $5 to $7 shareable plates, from crispy piri piri chicken wings and smoked salmon crostini to carrot hummus and chorizo pizettes. Monday through Friday 3pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- SaltAir Seafood Kitchen – Slurp $1 Gulf and $2 East Coast oysters and share $6 bites like hot Texas crab toasts, crispy mini spring rolls, beef satay with spicy peanut sauce, and Japenese-style shrimp tempura. Thirsty yet? Select wines are $5 to $7 and cocktails—think house margaritas, pear bellinis, and cucumber mules—are $7 each. Tuesday through Saturday 3pm to 6pm. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Slam buy-one-get-one-free sushi rolls alongside sake at Oishii; sit at the bar for daily happy hour at neophyte Japanese spot Roka Akor or the classic Eddie V’s; check out weekday happy hour and daily specials like Curry & Pint Night (Mondays) at The Queen Vic Pub; sip cheap beers on the inviting, tree-shaded deck at Hobbit Café, or while playing pool at neighborhood spot The Cellar Bar; make the most of your late afternoon with $5 beers, $1 deviled eggs, and $10 burgers and fries at Relish Restaurant & Bar; and unwind with happy hour wines at Beckrew Wine House, CRÚ Food & Wine Bar, and Sonoma Wine Bar.