In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best libations.
It may be tiny, but EaDo—or East Downtown—has affectionately been called the “Art & Soul of the City.” Home to the old Chinatown (before it moved to its bigger digs), the once warehouse-heavy no man’s land is slowly transforming into the city’s next haute neighborhood. As such, it offers some seriously fun happy hour options.
Note: For the purposes of this list, EaDo is defined by this map.
Where to Happy Hour in EaDo
- Around the Corner – In addition to awesome things like a beautifully restored bungalow space and patio, hip crowd, and free coffee on the first Monday of every month, this neighborhood hangout rocks a nice, long happy hour. Head there as early as noon to sip $1 off beer and wine and $2 off original cocktails, including the Old Fashioned, Paloma, Moscow Mule, and Spiced Daiquiri; Then stick around for weekday specials, from Tuesday’s wine night featuring $20 bottles and complimentary antipasto to Thursday night’s steak night with a $17 ribeye, scalloped potatoes, and salad. Monday through Friday noon to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Little Woodrow’s – The EaDo outpost of this local favorite offers 35 beers on tap, plenty of televisions for game day, some pretty awesome daily specials, and weekday happy hours with $2.50 Lone Stars, $2 mimosas, and $5 wines. On Mondays, booze specials on Texas-made libations start at $2.50 for beer and $4 for liquor; Tuesdays offer “big ass beers” and trivia; Wednesday is steak night, with $5 wines and cheap IPAs; Thursdays are for cheap beer cans; Friday rocks live music; Saturday offers seasonal crawfish; and Sunday offers pints starting at $3 all day. Monday through Friday 2pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Lucky’s Pub – This massive sports pub is the perfect place to unwind and wind up at a super cheap and boozy happy hour. Sip $2.50 domestic drafts, $2.50 house wines, $3 wells, and hit up the daily specials—including but not limited to Tuesday steak and pint night, Texas Thursdays and half-price beer, and shot specials on Friday, all of which bring the revelry well into the night. Monday through Friday 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Neil’s Bahr – If sipping cheap drinks, perusing comic books, and roughing your friends up in a game of Mario Kart is your idea of a good time (and it should be), this hole-in-the-wall drinkery is the place for you. Don’t miss the bar’s movie screenings, grilling sessions, trivia and karaoke nights, and special events, which you can follow along with on their Facebook. Monday through Friday, 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Tout Suite – With a roster of all-day pastries, sweets, and toasts topped with things like avocado, house-cured salmon, and mushrooms, anytime is a good time to hit this local hotspot. Stop by for weekly specials, including Tuesday’s Social Hour featuring $3 beers, $4 wines and $5 cocktails from 5pm to close; and Wine Wednesdays, with $5 glasses, $20 bottles and a $25 wine and cake by the slice special. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Check out weekly specials like Tuesday steak night Thursday wing night at King’s Court Bar and Kitchen; hit the taproom, yard, and food truck at 8th Wonder Brewery; sip some weekend rum at Paul Revere Rum Distillery; and look out for the launch of happy hour promotions at Chapman & Kirby.