Summer is in full swing, and just as the sun is scorching the pavement, so are Houston‘s hottest culinary happenings scorching the up scene.
Also in July 2017
Now is the time to take refuge from the sun and cool off with an ice cold beverage, so it’s a good thing there’s a one-year beer anniversary, a local brews and grooves event, and a tequila fest. But that’s just a taste of what July has to offer.
Top 13 Food & Drink Events in Houston this Month: July 2017
- SaltAir Chef’s Series: Havana at SaltAir Seafood Kitchen | Saturday, July 1 – This is the last chance to get a taste of SaltAir’s summer chef’s series, which has been taking a tour through locations central to The Tropic of Cancer, 23 degrees north of the equator, for the past five weeks. The last dinner series (which runs Tuesday, June 27 through Saturday, July 1) focuses on Cuban cuisine, with dishes including pork ribs in Cuban mojo, sautéed shrimp in Creole sauce, ropa vieja with white rice, black beans and plantains, and custard cone cakes soaked in syrup. Cost is $45 per person, excluding tax and gratuity.
- One Year Anniversary at City Acre Brewing | Saturday, July 1 – This popular local brewery is celebrating its first birthday with a sprawling party across the property’s beautiful acre of land. Party goers can enjoy yard games, music, a wunderbar German buffet from Chef Rick Kelsay, and a rotating menu of brand-new specialty beers, as well as some old favorites. Since this is a Houston summer and it’s hot, the air-conditioned taproom and Victorian-style manor will also be open for indoor festivities. Tickets are $29.95 and include a commemorative anniversary pint glass, two fills of any beers of your choice and access to the German food buffet. 11am to 5pm.
- Local Brews, Local Grooves at House of Blues | Saturday, July 1 – House of Blues is putting on an epic craft brew and music festival, with a lineup of 20 local breweries, over 50 beers and rare releases, 13 local bands, and brew-inspired pub grub. Tickets start at $15 for admission, with additional tasting packages and VIP upgrades available. Doors 3pm.
- Yoga & Hops: Red, White & Brews at Karbach Brewing Co. | Sunday, July 2 – Honor America’s birthday with an hour of yoga and some tasty, American-brewed craft beers in the biergarten. The class is $25 ($20 if you pre-register) and includes one free beer token, plus access to half-off eats from Karbach’s restaurant. Bring your own mat or rent one for $3. 11am to 2pm.
- Great American BBQ Chow Down at Christian’s Tailgate Bar & Grill Downtown | Tuesday, July 4 – Celebrate America and raise money for a great cause at this BBQ Chow Down, benefiting The Gary J Lynn Foundation, which strivees to improve the quality of life for people with Cerebral Palsy. Proceeds from the BBQ plates ($15) and Lone Star buckets ($10) will go directly to foundation’s work with the Memorial Hermann TIRR Robotics Building. 1pm to 5pm.
- Sundown at the Grove at The Grove Houston | Wednesdays, July 5 through August 30 – The fan-favorite summer series returns for its sixth year, with culinary pairings of bites and brews, plus fresh beats and fun giveaways in a picturesque setting overlooking Discovery Green. The first event kicks off with 8th Wonder Brewery on July 5, followed by Back Pew on July 12, SpindleTap on July 19 and Platypus on July 26. Tickets for each event are $20. 5:30pm to 8:30pm.
- The Rose Shrimp Boil at The Pasadena Convention Center and Municipal Fairgrounds | Saturday, July 8 – The annual shrimp boil is the oldest and largest fundraising event for The Rose, the leading breast health organization in the Southeast region of Texas. Celebrate life, strength, and courage with family and friends as you enjoy shrimp and live music by The Slag’s, a kid’s zone for the children, auctions and more. Tickets are $25 for adults and $10 for kids, with tables and sponsorships available. 4pm to 8pm.
- Summerfest at the Rice University Farmers Market | Tuesday, July 11 | No Cover – Take a break from work and enjoy this summer celebration at the market. The afternoon will feature live music, a cooking demo by Rice University Housing and Dining chefs, activities for kids, farmers market vendors, and local breweries serving up age-appropriate refreshments for those 21 and older. 3:30pm to 6:30pm.
- Seven Course Dessert Tasting at Cloud 10 Creamery | Tuesday, July 11 – Houston’s most innovative ice cream shop is hosting an intimate, seven-course dessert tasting with award-winning pasty chef Chris Leung. Each course features a unique dessert creation playfully combining texture, crunch, sweet, savory, warmth, and cold. Tickets are $125. 7pm to 10pm.
- Houston Chef Series “Dining through the Decades” at Landry’s Inc. Signature Restaurants | Wednesdays, July 12, 19, and 26 – Landry’s has kicked summer off with its annual Houston Chef Series dinners, featured on select Wednesday evenings through August 9. The private and exclusive dining experience will be hosted by each restaurant concept’s talented executive chefs, with this year’s theme being “Dining through the Decades.” In July, the weekly lineup includes decade-spanning plates like oysters Rockefeller, fish and chips and beef Wellington with chef Luis Rubio at La Griglia (July 12); 1930s dishes like deviled eggs, oven-fried chicken and chipped beef with chef Sean Hochstein at Grotto Downtown (July 19); and a tour through the decades featuring rabbit rillete, gruyere fondue, and halibut “Wellington” with chef Andrew Oliver of McCormick & Schmick’s (July 26). Cost is $95 per person ($80 for Landry’s Select Club members). 7pm.
- Viva El Tequila Fest at Cadillac Bar | Friday, July 14 – Salt, sip, lime, repeat. Celebrate the summer at this second annual tequila fest, featuring samples of tequila pours, signature cocktails, and beer; tasty tacos provided by Cadillac Bar’s food truck, Taco Me Crazy; and festive face painting and dancing. General Amigos tickets are $40 ($35 for Landry’s Select Club Members) for tequila, signature cocktail and beer samples plus one taco and vendor giveaways; El Presidente tickets are $60 ($50 for Landry’s Select Club Members) for all access of General Amigos ticket plus extra food, beer samples, and luxury Tequila brand samples. Tickets can be purchased online or on-site day of event. Attendees must be 21 and older to attend. 7pm to 10pm.
- Houston Fajita Festival at HTX Sports Creek | Saturday, July 22 – The second annual fajita fest is a celebration of Mexican culture through food, drink, and fun. Come hungry for a variety of fajitas, from beef to seafood; get inspired by the live art mural wall; jam out to live music; and cool off with some frozen spiked lemonade. There will also be a playground for the kids. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children (with food and drink sold separately) or $100 for VIP (includes a fajita buffet, $30 worth of drink tickets, private spiked lemonade tastings, a souvenir mug, and t-shirt). 1pm to 9pm.
- Date Night Cooking Class at Brennan’s of Houston | Friday, July 28 – Brennan’s continues the celebration of its 50th-anniversary celebration with a decade-inspired date night cooking series. This month’s cooking class and dinner offer a taste of the ‘90s. Cost is $150 per couple, plus tax and gratuity. 6:30pm to 9pm.