In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best libations.
While Rice Village is not exactly a neighborhood, but rather a mixed-use district, it is often treated as one along with the neighboring community of West University Place (aka West U). The beautiful, tree-lined area appeals to both the young and the young at heart, with plenty of shopping, entertainment, and most importantly, happy hour opportunities for all.
Note: For the purposes of this list, Rice Village and West University are defined as the area bound by 610 to the west, Greenbriar to the east, Bissonnet to the north and Holcombe to the south.
Where to Happy Hour in Rice Village & West U
- Benjy’s – Benjy’s in the Village is known for both its seven-day-a-week brunch and killer happy hour. Hit the lounge and enjoy $3 craft brews, $5 wines by the glass and $30 wines by the bottle, and a selection of $6 craft cocktails, including sugar-rimmed Citrus Blossoms and zippy Ohhh Snaps made with bourbon, lemon, and ginger ale. Sip them alongside $5 to $6 eats, from house-pickled seasonal veggies and smoked salmon crostini to grilled lamb meatballs and pistachio-crusted goat cheese cakes. Monday through Saturday 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Punk’s Simple Southern Food – Enjoy a happy hour with Southern charm at this soulful modern spot. Sit at the bar and unwind with $2 off specialty cocktails, $5 frozen margs, and $6 wines alongside elevated pub grub—including $2 cheese straws, $3 chicken fry biscuits and $5 pickle chips, sweet corn hushpuppies and pimiento cheese fritters. Tuesday through Friday 4pm to 7pm. Friday through Saturday 9pm to 11pm. Click here for directions.
- Little Woodrow’s – Happy hour is offered every single day at this fan-favorite patio and sports bar. Get 50 cent off pints, $1 off pitchers, $3.25 domestic bottles and $16.25 domestic buckets, plus daily specials including Wednesday’s Big Ass Beers, Bourbon and Bingo, and Saturday’s You Call It Mugs. Daily happy hour specials. Click here for directions.
- Simone on Sunset – Hit this artsy treasure for daily specials including Monday’s $10 gourmet burger night, Tuesday’s $5 sangrias, Wednesday $10 pizza night, and Thursday’s steak night, with $22 bacon-wrapped filets and $20 ribeyes; plus happy hour specials like $5 wines by the glass, $17 wines by the bottle, and $1 off select beers. Monday through Friday 4pm to 7pm. Saturday 3pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Upstairs – Perched in the oak trees lining Rice Boulevard on the second floor of Hungry’s, Upstairs bar and lounge offers a blissful escape. Quench your thirst with $4 Texas drafts, $5 select wines, and $5 to $6 cocktails—think mojitos, grapefruit spritz, and the “just beet it,” a drink made with Cimarron tequila, beet, lemon, and ginger. Happy hour bites run $6 to $8 and include smoked salmon dip, fire-roasted Brussels sprouts, a grilled chicken, jalapeño sausage and Gulf shrimp trio, and house pizzas. And be sure to look out for daily specials like Tuesday steak night and UnWINEd Wednesday. Monday through Friday 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Sip cheap cocktails and get daily specials at Under the Volcano; check out steak night The Gorgeous Gael (Tuesday) or Kelvin Arms Pub (Thursday); and get $5 sangria and half-off pitchers alongside tapas at Mi Luna.