In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best libations.
With the restaurant-heavy Memorial City Mall and City Centre, this underrated part of town is the perfect place to unwind with a drink. A drink that somehow tastes even better during happy hour (and be sure to check out where to brunch here).
Note: For the purposes of this list, Memorial City is defined by this map.
Where to Happy Hour in Memorial City
- The General Public – It’s all about bourbon at this upscale gastropub; so it’s fitting that during weekday happy hour, you can get it for cheap. The Bourbon and Burgers special offers half-price on the bar’s extensive selection of bourbon, plus half-off Bacon Burgers and The Aristocrat, a burger with arugula, glazed shallots and muenster cheese (the special is also available late night, from 9pm to 11pm). Other specials include Rosé All Day, where glasses of rosé are $4 before 5pm. Monday through Friday 4pm to 6pm. Click here for directions.
- Liberty Kitchen at The Treehouse – With seasonal refreshes to its stellar cocktail menu—the most recent of which offers citrus-forward, colorful concoctions like the Sunset Punch (Bombay Sapphire East, Rose, Fresh Lemon Juice, Cucumber, Raspberries) and Cantaritos (Pura Vida Reposado, Chango Logo Espadin, Fresh Orange, and Grapefruit Juice) —Liberty Kitchen at the Treehouse is a worthwhile stop year-round. Especially during happy hour, when a selection of the drinks, along with beer, wine, and kitchen bites, can be enjoyed for $6 and under. Grub on tuna poke, garlic butter and parmesan oysters, and sweet & hot flank ribs while you imbibe. Monday through Friday 3pm to 6pm; Sunday 5pm to 9pm. Click here for directions.
- State Fare Kitchen & Bar – Hit this neighborhood favorite to sip $4 drafts, $6 wines by the glass, $6 expertly crafted cocktails—like the apricot-bourbon old fashioned and frozen margarita splashed with lime and agave, plus a $6 “bartender’s pick” shot and drink special. While you’re at it, linger lowbrow comfort food gone high class in the form of $5 shareable bites. There’s jalapeño poppers, salmon crudo, smoked chicken nachos, short rib poutine, and spicy fried chicken. Monday through Friday 3pm to 6pm. Click here for directions.
- The Tasting Room – Get serious about wine at The Tasting Room, where the weekday happy hour is made better by two charming patio spaces. Choose from whites, bubbles, and reds, from buttery Chardonnay to chocolate and cherry-kissed Malbec, starting at $5 a glass; and tack on happy hour bites like roasted sausage and pepper bruschetta and Kobe sliders, too. Monday through Friday 11am to 6pm (happy hour food from 4pm to 6pm). Click here for directions.
- Vallone’s – Hit the handsome bar and bistro for $2 well cocktails, $5 select wines by the glass, and $5 domestic bottles, plus a masterclass of $5 Italian steakhouse bites. Bring friends to indulge in plates like spicy fried oysters, Texas corn ravioli, open-faced sliders, and meatballs with creamy polenta. Monday through Friday 4:30pm to 6:30pm; Sunday all day. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Check out the weekday specials at Tout Suite; get Latin American small plates and cocktails at Churrascos; enjoy specials like $5 spiked shakes and $3 cheese fries at Grub Burger Bar; hit the Milano Bar at Radio Milano for daily happy hour drinks; and don’t miss all night happy hour on Mondays at KUU.