Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, May 10 to Sunday, May 14, 2017.
Happening in Houston This Week
Also in May 2017
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself. Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Yellow Rose Comedy Festival at Warehouse Live | Friday, May 12 and Saturday, May 13 – Yellow Rose Comedy Festival is Houston’s first all-female comedy festival. It will showcase and celebrate the amazing female comedians in Houston as well as have a national headliner closing out the festival on Saturday night. Tickets range from $20 to $35, not including ticket fees. 7pm to 10pm both nights.
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
- DIY Story Night: A Storytelling Open Mic at Midtown Bar & Grill – Performers and listeners encouraged to attend to celebrate the art of storytelling at this DIY Storytelling Night at Midtown Bar & Grill. This event is pay-what-you-can and the venue offers a bar and full dining menu. 7pm to 10pm.
- Jazz Cartier at House of Blues – Catch the Canadian hip hop recording artist from Toronto, Jazz Cartier, at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets start at $20, not including ticket fees. 7pm to 10pm.
- Reggae Night at The Flat | FREE to Attend – Get through hump day with a drink and enjoy reggae, dancehall, soca, and afrobeats all night long at The Flat. 10pm.
Thursday, May 11, 2017
- Tee Vee in Concert at Axelrad | FREE to Attend – Hear the dream-pop sounds of local musician Tee Vee when she hits the stage at the Axelrad beer garden. 7pm to 10pm.
- Pallbearer in Concert at Warehouse Live – Watch the doom metal rock band Pallbearer with openers Gatecreeper and Pinkish Black at Warehouse Live. Tickets are $15 in advance and $17 the day of. 7pm to 10pm.
- Sondre Lerche in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Brooklyn-based Norwegian singer-songwriter Sondre Lerche hits the stage with openers Dedekind Cut at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $20 in advance and $22 at the door, not including ticket fees. 7pm to 11pm.
- Yellow Rose Comedy Festival Kickoff Party at Pearl Bar | FREE to Attend – Hang out, have a drink, and enter to win ticket giveaways before the Yellow Rose Comedy Festival begins with a kick-off party at Pearl Bar on Washington Avenue. 7:30pm to 2am.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The EaDo Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $8, but limited comped (you only pay the ticketing fee) and discounted $4 tickets are available for most shows.
- Travis Scott in Concert at Revention Music Center – See rapper, Travis Scott hit the stage for his Birds Eye View Tour at the Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $171, not including ticket fees. 8pm.
- Dem in Concert at Belle Station | FREE to Attend – Take advantage of drink specials and catch the roots reggae band, Dem along with DJ Swish at Belle Station. 9pm.
- A Night In Havana at Prohibition Supperclub & Bar – Prohibition Supperclub & Bar hosts a night celebrating Old Havana, circa 1946, the notorious playground for stars like Frank Sinatra, Estelita Rodriguez, and Ava Gardner. Expect live performances, DJ tunes, and the most glamorous dance floor this side of Havana. Tickets are $10 for general admission; $20 VIP, but limited discounted $6 tickets are available most nights.
Friday, May 12, 2017
- Tablao Flamenco: Illeana Gomez at Ovations – Join The Houston Flamenco Collective for a night of live music, live dancing, cocktails, and passion as they present dancer, Illeana Gomez with guitarist, Alejandro Pais Iriart. Tickets are $30. There will be a performance at 7pm and 9pm.
- The Broken Spokes in Concert at 8th Wonder Brewery | FREE to Attend – Enjoy a cold beer and have a honky tonk time with the local country band The Broken Spokes at 8th Wonder Brewery. 7pm to 10pm.
- Brian Wilson in Concert at Revention Music Center – See one of the original members of The Beach Boys, Brian Wilson, as he performs the album Pet Sounds in its entirety at Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $43, not including ticket fees. 8pm.
- Spring Fling: ’50s & ’60s Dance Party at The Continental Club – Go back to the time and do the twist to songs from the ’50s and ’60s at this Spring Fling at The Continental Club. ’50s and ’60s attire is strongly encouraged. Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
- Paul Van Dyk at Stereo Live Houston – See the Grammy-nominated DJ and producer, Paul Van Dyk, play techno and electronic music at the Stereo Live nightclub. Tickets are $15 and $25 for VIP, not including ticket fees. 9pm.
Saturday, May 13, 2017
- Exhibition Opening: Into the Midst of Things at DiverseWorks | FREE – Into the Midst of Things brings together three artists– Regina Agu, Ruby Onyinyechi Amanze, and Wura-Natasha Ogunji – for a show featuring performance, writing, and drawing at DiverseWorks art gallery in Midtown. 6pm to 8pm.
- Belcurve in Concert at The Nightingale Room | FREE to Attend – Head to Downtown to see a performance by indie rock band Belcurve and choose from a variety of cocktails at The Nightingale Room. 7pm.
- East of EaDo in Concert at Bohemeo’s – Catch indie rock band, East of EaDo along with Redpalms and The Chordinates at Bohemeo’s in 2nd Ward. Cover charge is $8. 7pm.
- RuPaul’s Drag Race Alexis Michelle at South Beach – Season 9 of RuPaul’s Drag Race queen Alexis Michelle hits the stage at South Beach for a performance and a meet and greet afterward. $15. 9pm.
- Dead Man’s Party: Dark ’80s Dance at Marquee Moon Lounge | FREE to Attend – DJ Shane Black bring all the darkest ’80s genres from goth to death rock at this dance party at Marquee Moon Lounge. 9pm.
- Electro Bounce at The Foundation Room at House of Blues – Free your mind through dance and self-expression at the Electro Bounce night at The Foundation Room in House of Blues. Dance to genres like funk, soul, reggae, dancehall and more. This event if free with RSVP before 11pm. Cover charge without RSVP is $10. 10pm.
- Last Wave Dance Night at Grand Prize Bar | FREE to Attend – Hear rare music from the ’70s and ’80s including post-punk, new wave, mod revival and more at Grand Prize Bar in Montrose. 10pm.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Fright Night at River Oaks Theatre – Come dressed as a zombie or your favorite horror hero and see this special midnight Fright Night performance of The Rocky Horry Picture Show at River Oaks Theatre. Tickets are $10.50. Midnight.
Sunday, May 14, 2017
- Sunday Show Tunes Sing-A-Long at Guava Lamp | FREE to Attend – Sing your favorite show tunes with a live pianist every 2nd Sunday of the month at this sing-a-long at the LGBT bar and nightclub, Guava Lamp. 5pm to 7pm.
- Rock n Roll Bingo at Darwin’s Pub | FREE to Attend – Play bingo with a rock n roll twist for prizes and enjoy happy hour at Darwin’s Pub. 6pm to 8pm.
- Mama is a Rocker Fest at Last Concert Cafe – Rock out with mom at Mama Is A Rocker Fest and enjoy live music, artist, vendors and more at Last Concert Cafe. A percentage of funds they raise will go to helping Survivors of Domestic Violence. Cover charge at the door. 7pm to 10pm.
- Trillblazers in Concert at Insomnia Video Game Culture | FREE to Attend – Party with Insomnia Video Game Culture as they leave their Heights location and enjoy live music from Trillblazers, Pitter Patter, and Tee Vee along with complimentary booze from Southern Star Brewery. 9pm to 11:30pm.