Each week, our My Top 5 series highlights a Houstonian who is shaping the culture of the city and making an out-sized impact on its character. In turn, each shares their own favorite things to do in Houston when not hard at work. This week, we’re very pleased to feature Devin Licata, co-founder of Headquarters, a first of its kind, collaborative office space in the East End.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Devin Licata
- East End Restaurants – Our neighborhood is filled with incredible independently-owned restaurants that have been around for ages and perfectly capture the diverse cultural and culinary influences that make Houston so awesome. Ninfa’s on Navigation is the most well-known, and you can find me there at least once a week for happy hour grabbing margaritas and guac with some of our tenants. I also love Champ Burger, and of course, Villa Arcos for breakfast tacos.
- Dynamo Games at BBVA Compass Stadium – I had never been to a professional soccer game until a few months ago, and a friend of ours gave my brother and I extra tickets. We had no idea what to expect, and now going to Dynamo games is one of my favorite things to do. BBVA Compass Stadium is beautiful, and there isn’t a bad seat in the house. Even if you don’t care for sports, it’s an awesome spot to hang back with friends and family and enjoy a few beers on a nice night. The fans are extremely passionate, the energy is electric, and tickets are super affordable.
- East End Sunday Market – I first stumbled upon the East End Sunday market a few days after we closed on the Headquarters site and I was exploring the neighborhood. You can find everything here from artisanal cheese and fresh produce to Latino inspired art and jewelry – and the Navigation Esplanade is a gorgeous community space. It’s the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon, surrounded by nice people, cool stuff, and delicious food.
- Tout Suite – the only thing I don’t like about Tout Suite is that it’s down the street, and I have to drive an entire three minutes to get there. I love this place, and can often be found there multiple times a day for pre-work coffee, mid-morning breakfast meetings, lunch, afternoon desert runs and more. Thuy-my Long and Sandy Train who are behind the spot have done an incredible job of creating an all-day destination that’s beautiful, friendly, and consistently delivers on the food and coffee fronts.
- Heights Hike & Bike Trails – when it’s really nice out, sometimes I will bike to Headquarters from my place in the Heights. The Heights Hike and Bike Trail ends pretty close to Headquarters – you have to go under 59 which can be a little treacherous (personally, I like the adventure), but overall it’s an awesome trail and great way to see the city.
About Devin Licata
Devin Licata is the co-founder of TPC Real Estate, along with her brother Peter Licata and father Mark Licata. A Houston native, Licata moved back to town this year to oversee the launch of Headquarters, a first of its kind creative, collaborative office space in the East End. After attending Fordham University and working as a financial consultant in the hospitality industry in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Panama, Devin moved to Boulder, where she first encountered the creative office culture. After visiting a variety of creative office operations in Colorado, she realized that there was room to pioneer a new style of workspace in the Houston market. Soon thereafter Headquarters was born.