Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during April 2017.
Also in April 2017
With the McDonald’s Houston Children’s Festival, the Shell Houston Open, the Astros season, food festivals and more, there are plenty of opportunities for you to soak up the sun before it gets too hot.
Jam to tunes in Missouri City, watch the US Women’s National soccer team play Russia, sample mac and cheese creations at a brand new festival and more at these can’t-miss events happening all month long.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of April.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston this Month: April 2017
- McDonald’s Houston Children’s Festival in Downtown Houston | Saturday, April 1 and Sunday, April 2 – Bring the whole family out for games, celebrity and character appearances at the McDonald’s Houston Children’s Festival.
- Shell Houston Open at the Golf Club of Houston | Through Sunday, April 2 – Top golfers from around the world will compete for the title of the 2015 Shell Houston Open at The Golf Club of Houston.
- 5th Anniversary Street Food Carnival at Underbelly | Sunday, April 2 – Celebrate the 5th anniversary of Chris Shepherd’s restaurant Underbelly with this afternoon festival featuring carnival games and street food from around the world.
- Houston Astros Opening Day at Minute Maid Park | Monday, April 3 – Don’t miss Opening Day of the Astros’ 2017 season. Be there when the first pitch is thrown in this game against the Seattle Mariners. Tickets start at $55. 7:10pm.
- Sugar Land Food & Wine Affair | Thursday, April 6 to Sunday, April 9 – Nosh and sip your way through the many events of the annual weekend-long Sugar Land Wine & Food Affair.
- The 30th Annual Houston Art Car Parade in Downtown | Saturday, April 8 – Folks will line Allen Parkway for a front row seat at this year’s Houston Art Car Parade. More than 250 mobile works of art participate in the 30th annual parade put on by The Orange Show.
- MCTX Festival in Missouri City | Saturday, April 8 | FREE to Attend – Enjoy tunes from a lineup of six artists, food from local restaurants, and art from vendors at this music festival in Missouri City.
- Brenner’s Wine Fest at Brenner’s on the Bayou | Saturday, April 8 – Sample vino from more than 10 wineries at an outdoor affair overlooking Buffalo Bayou. Guests will enjoy bites like mini lobster rolls, quail tacos, and pork belly tater tots prepared by some of the city’s best chefs.
- US Women’s Soccer vs Russia at BBVA Compass Stadium | Sunday, April 9 – Former Dash player Carli Lloyd will return to Houston along with Alex Morgan, Tobin Heath, and current Dash members Jane Campbell, Morgan Brian, and Kealia Ohai to play the Russian women’s team in this game at BBVA Compass Stadium.
- Houston BBQ Fest at NRG Park | Sunday, April 9 – Stuff your face with unlimited ‘que from some of the best joints in Texas like Southside Market, Gatlin’s, Killen’s and more during this event at NRG Park.
- ATP Men’s Clay Court Championship at River Oaks Country Club | Monday, April 10 to Sunday, April 16 – Get your tickets for the annual Men’s Clay Court Championship featuring tennis pros like John Isner, the Bryan brothers, and Jack Sock in River Oaks.
- Mac & Cheese Festival at Silver Street Studios | Saturday, April 15 – Houston’s first ever Mac & Cheese Fest will pit more than twenty local restaurants against each other to see who makes the best version while guests enjoy music, games, and drinks.
- 50th Annual WorldFest-Houston Independent Film Festival at The AMC Studio 30 | Friday, April 21 through Sunday, April 30 – Choose from 200 independent films, made by filmmakers from 76 different countries, at the diamond edition of the oldest independent film and video festival in the world. You can view a single film, get a total festival pass, or simply attend the premiere parties.
- Funomenal Family Festival at Discovery Green | Saturday, April 29 | FREE – Bring the whole family to Discovery Green for music from DJ Astra, dance performances, baby Olympics, foam parties, zip lines, rides and more.
- BP MS150 | Saturday, April 29 and Sunday, April 30 – Bike from Houston to Austin with more than 10,000 other cyclists in this annual fundraiser supporting the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
Be sure to subscribe to our free daily updates and weekend guide emails and receive our picks for great things to do in Houston in your inbox daily or once a week.
Click here to sign up.