Marvel at two performances about the WWII-era internment of American citizens of Japanese descent at Core’s Life Interrupted at Asia Society on Friday, February 17 and Saturday, February 18, 2017.
Presented by Core Performance Company, this richly layered evening-length performance of contemporary dance, art, and music was created to honor and remember the U.S. citizens of Japanese descent who were forcibly imprisoned in camps during World War II.
Life Interrupted uses the historical reality of the Japanese-American incarceration to investigate current social anxieties and the fear of “the other,” whether “the other” is labeled immigrant, refugee, minority or just “different.”
Ultimately, Life Interrupted celebrates the strength, resilience, and humanity of the incarcerated in this powerful performance at Asia Society Texas Center in the Museum District.
The performance dates are significant as they coincide with the 75th Anniversary of the signing of Executive Order 9066. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the decree in 1942 after the surprise military strike by the Imperial Japanese Navy against the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on December 7, 1941.
The attack led to the United States’ entry into WWII and the following year, more than 120,000 American citizens of Japanese descent were sent to internment camps in their own country for fear they would be loyal to the Japan.
- Friday, February 17 | Post-Performance Conversation – Artistic Director Sue Schroeder, Core Dance, and the dance artists of Core Performance Company will have a post-performance conversation with audience members following Life Interrupted at 9:30pm.
- Saturday, February 18, | Pre-Performance Conversation – Artistic Director Sue Schroeder, Core Dance, and Nancy Chikaraishi, visual artist for Life Interrupted and daughter of incarcerees, will have a pre-performance conversation with audience members at 7:15pm.
Life Interrupted at Asia Society Texas Center
- Date: Friday, February 17 and Saturday, February 18, 2017
- Time: 8pm both days; Friday post-performance conversation 9:30pm; Saturday pre-performance conversation 7:15pm.
- Location: Asia Society Texas Center, 1370 Southmore Blvd, Houston, TX 77004
- Parking: Onsite parking is available for $5; free street parking is available in the surrounding area.
- Admission: Tickets are $20; $10 for Asia Society Texas Center members and are available at the Asia Society Box Office at 713-496-9901.
This post was sponsored by Core Dance. Per our advertising policy, we only accept sponsored content from businesses that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, resource, or destination for Houstonians and Houston visitors. Click here to learn about promoting your event, product or business.