Each week, our My Top 5 series highlights a Houstonian who is shaping the culture of the city and making an out-sized impact on its character. In turn, each shares his own favorite things to do in Houston when not hard at work. This week, we’re extremely pleased to feature Brock Wagner, founder of the ever popular Saint Arnold Brewing Company.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Brock Wagner
- The Houston Art Car Parade – This is my favorite event of the year and it’s free for all. I tell people to get Downtown early before the parade so you can walk amongst all of the cars and speak with the artists who are hanging out next to them. Then, find a place along the route to watch the art roll by. The imagination that goes into these cars is incredible. But be careful: watching the parade is contagious and can lead to making your own art car.
- Go to an Astros Game – The team is great fun to watch, especially right now. I don’t want to jinx them, but this could be a really good team for many years, so getting behind them early will be even more rewarding! Plus, it’s a fan-friendly ballpark.
- Walk to bars & restaurants on Lower Westheimer – This part of Westheimer has retained a lot of its funkiness while also having some great food and drink available. It’s not quite as colorful as it was in the ’80s, but you can eat food from a James Beard Award-winning chef and get a tattoo without having to get in a car.
- Eat raw Gulf oysters (preferably in January or February) – These big, fat, sweet oysters are delicious and cheap, especially compared to the dainty little things that people get from the Northeast and Northwest. Whether at Goode Co. Seafood, Reef, or any of our other great seafood restaurants, these are always satisfying. And, they pair well with beer!
- Buy Some Vinyl at Cactus Music – Cactus Music is an institution and record stores are becoming rare places. They have a great selection of vinyl and CDs, plus interesting art shows and eclectic gifts. You are sure to find something there you can’t live without. Actually, you could probably live without it, but it will be something that makes your life more fun.
About Brock Wagner
Brock Wagner is the founder of Saint Arnold Brewing Company, Texas’ oldest craft brewery. Wagner has grown the brewery from a small operation in a state with no craft beer market into one of the 50 largest craft breweries in the country. Saint Arnold brews a wide variety of year-round, seasonal and special release beers. The brewery has done well in prestigious competitions, winning 21 medals at the Great American Beer Festival.