Our weekly My Top 5 series highlights Houstonians who are shaping the city’s culture and character. In turn, they share their own favorite things to do in Houston when they’re not hard at work. This week, we’re pleased to feature Kourtney Perry, the creator of the wedding website 7 Centerpieces, who shares some of her favorite shopping destinations and distractions.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Kourtney Perry
- Budget Shopping – Hands down, this is one of my favorite things to do in Houston. Houston is known for its great shopping. But what people may not know is how prime the city is for bargain shopping. If you are in need of accessories, the shops off of Harwin are the place to go. For clothing, you cannot beat the outlet malls surrounding the outskirts of town (Katy Mills along I-10, and Premium Outlets off of 290, Nike Clearance Store in Conroe). Finally, if you’re looking for furniture, we’ve got that covered too. There are great finds at the Macy’s furniture clearance center in West Oaks Mall.
- Nutcracker Market – The holiday season is my absolute favorite time of year and attending the Nutcracker Market has become a season favorite. When the market arrives in Houston in early November, you know it’s the official start to the holidays! NRG Park is filled wall-to-wall with specialty food and gift vendors that are sure to get you into the giving spirit.
- The Galleria – No, it’s not for the reason that you think. Even though my number one pastime is shopping (and The Galleria has some of the best shopping in the city), I like to go to The Galleria for the people watching. Strolling through the massive mall you may happen upon a quinceanera court or even an H-town celebrity. Houston is home to some of the most unique characters in all of the country, and The Galleria is a place where many of them congregate.
- The Bridal Extravaganza Show – I attended my first Bridal Extravaganza when I was planning my own wedding and I have been hooked ever since. Held in January and July of each year, it is a must do for any bride-to-be or wedding lover like myself. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes because George R. Brown Convention Center is filled to the brim with every imaginable wedding or party vendor just waiting to greet you!
- Brunch – Most everyone is aware that Houston is a food town and home to some of the top-rated restaurants in the nation. And my favorite meal to partake on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon is brunch. Hugo’s has one of the best brunches in the city and I think the Mexican-inspired brunch at Doneraki restaurant in Gulfgate Shopping Center is a great value for the price. Just remember to arrive with an empty stomach because the one thing Houston is not known for is its small portions.
About Kourtney Perry
When she was planning her own wedding, native Houstonian Kourtney Perry had trouble finding online resources that showcased Texas’ wedding planning talent. Once her own wedding was done, and she’d completed a year-long internship at one of the state’s premier event planning businesses, she launched 7 Centerpieces as a showcase for the discerning Texas bride. 7 Centerpieces features stunning and unique Texas wedding events, provides features and advice from the state’s top vendors, and serves as the go-to resource for brides searching for creative ideas and gorgeous fashion for their Texas nuptials.