Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during January 2017.
Also in January 2017
With the new year comes new and exciting events.
We’ve pulled together a few of our favorites to help you kick off whatever resolution you’re dedicated to sticking to this year. Catch a performance of The Book of Mormon, run in the Chevron Houston Marathon, cheer loud as the Texans head into the NFL playoffs, pick up a new fruit tree for your yard, celebrate the LGBTQ community in Houston and more at these can’t-miss events in Houston this January.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of January.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston: January 2017
- The Book of Mormon at Hobby Center | Tuesday, January 3 to Sunday, January 15 – Act quick and score discounted seats to the hilarious Tony-winning musical from the guys that created South Park, returning to Houston this winter.
- Houston Texans Playoff Game at NRG Stadium | Saturday, January 7 – The Texans have clinched a home game for the first round of the NFL playoffs. Get your tickets and cheer loud for the Texans as they fight to play in Super Bowl LI with a home crowd. Tickets start at $61, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 3:35pm.
- The Sale at Bayou City Event Center | Saturday, January 7 and Sunday, January 8 – Shop items from various local boutiques under one roof during this massive sale that benefits The University of Texas MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital.
- The “Blind 50” Competition at Anvil Bar & Refuge | Sunday, January 8 – 30 entrants will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis to attempt to taste 50 and correctly identify 47 spirits at this “Blind 50” taste test at Anvil.
- Galveston Restaurant Week at Participating Restaurants Around Galveston | Saturday, January 7 to Sunday, January 22 – Order off special prix fixe menus at participating restaurants around the island during the annual Galveston Restaurant Week to support the Galveston County Food Bank.
- Urban Harvest’s Fruit Tree Sale at Rice University | Saturday, January 14 | FREE to Attend – Pick out temperate, tropical and/or citrus fruit trees from an extensive selection during the 17th Annual Fruit Tree Sale hosted by Urban Harvest.
- Jerry Seinfeld Live at Smart Financial Centre | Saturday, January 14 – The hilarious actor, writer, and comedian Jerry Seinfeld is slated for back-to-back shows at Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. You’ll want to catch at least one of them.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Events Around Houston | Saturday, January 14 through Monday, January 16 – Honor Martin Luther King Jr. at the 23rd Annual MLK Grande Parade, a birthday celebration in his honor at Rothko Chapel, the MLK Youth Parade and more.
- Chevron Houston Marathon in Downtown | Sunday, January 15 – Run, volunteer or simply show up to support runners during the Chevron Houston Marathon and Aramco Houston Half Marathon that winds through Houston, beginning and ending in Downtown.
- Truffle Masters 2017 at the Hobby Center | Monday, January 16 – Chefs from local hot spots like Triniti, Cafe Annie, Brennan’s of Houston and more will come together to battle it out and see who will make the best dish featuring truffle.
- Rainbow on Ice at Discovery Green | POSTPONED | FREE to Attend – This annual family-friendly LGBTQ celebration brings electrifying performances and entertainment to The Ice at Discovery Green.
- YAGA Chili Quest & Beer Fest in Galveston | Friday, January 20 and Saturday, January 21 – The annual festival hosted by Yaga’s Café in Galveston is back again for a weekend full of chili sampling and beer tasting.
- Houston Press Artopia at Winter Street Studios | Saturday, January 28 – Artopia brings art, music, food, and fashion from local talent under one roof for an epic one-night event at Winter Street Studios.
- Super Bowl Live at Discovery Green | Starts Saturday, January 28 | FREE – Gear up for Super Bowl LI with music, performances, and football-themed activities in the heart of Downtown. Expect to see artists like Leon Bridges, ZZ Top, and The Suffers.
- One Pot Showdown at Saint Arnold | Sunday, January 29 – See what teams come up with when they’re challenged to a one pot cook-off using Saint Arnold beers. This delicious fundraiser, now in its 10th year, benefits Kids’ Meals.
Be sure to subscribe to our free daily updates and weekend guide emails and receive our picks for great things to do in Houston in your inbox daily or once a week.
Click here to sign up.