Our My Top 5 feature showcases Houstonians who are shaping the culture in the city and impacting people’s lives. In turn, they share their own favorite things to do in Houston when they’re not hard at work. This week, we’re very pleased to feature Nicole Heaston, opera singer at Houston Grand Opera.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Nicole Heaston
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo – Being a native Chicagoan, the rodeo is my time to go full on Texan. I love everything about it: the livestock, the carnival, the food, and the concerts. There are few things better than seeing baby chicks hatch. My whole family goes every year and I get very jealous when they go without me if I am working in another country during rodeo time.
- Houston Ballet’s Nutcracker Market – The. Best. Christmas. Shopping. Period. It is a girl’s day out trifecta: shopping, wine, and no children. You drop the kids at school and shop until it is time to pick them up. I go at least twice a year, since you cannot do it all in one day and you need to go with different friends.
- The Houstonian Hotel – If I ever need a staycation, the Houstonian is where I go. Once you enter the property you feel as if you’ve left Houston and entered a quiet wooded oasis. The service is lovely and their spa treatments are fabulous. I have hidden myself away here many a time and always come back refreshed.
- Miller Outdoor Theater – This is my favorite outdoor theater. During the summer I love to see the shows put on by the TUTS Humphreys School of Musical Theater and various other youth performances with my children. Miller Outdoor Theater is also a great place to check out an opera, a movie or a pops concert. I recommend taking a nice walk around Hermann Park afterwards to add to the experience.
- Rattan Pan Asian Bistro – I live in Katy, but the restaurant my family and I drive into Houston the most frequently to visit is Rattan. The staff is so kind and warm and the food is always fresh and flavorful. This restaurant always makes for a nice evening of good food and good company.
About Nicole Heaston
Born in Chicago, Nicole Heaston, a renowned opera star, has established a long relationship with Houston Grand Opera, beginning with the company as a member of the Houston Grand Opera Studio. Among her many performances with the company was the world premiere of Jackie O, with Ms. Heaston creating the title role and recording the opera for the Argo label. Her debut with the company was in the title role of Roméo et Juliette.