Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during October 2016.
Also in October 2016
It’s October and the temperatures have finally dropped below 90 degrees, which means: it’s time for pumpkin spice lattes. Kick off fall with foodie events, Broadway shows, art festivals, concerts, Halloween parties, the return of the Rockets season and more at these can’t-miss events in Houston this October.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of October.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston: October 2016
- The Epicurean Project at Silver Street Studios | Wednesday, October 5 – You won’t want to miss this interactive foodie event featuring local chefs, the latest food trends, and specialty ingredients.
- Buffalo Bayou Park’s 1st Birthday | Thursday, October 6 | FREE – Celebrate a full year of Buffalo Bayou Park and thirty years of the Buffalo Bayou Partnership during this afternoon celebration complete with food trucks, birthday cake, lawn games and more.
- Mamma Mia! at the Hobby Center | Thursday, October 6 to Sunday, October 9 – Sing along to hits from ABBA like “Dancing Queen”, “Mamma Mia” and more during this hit musical, playing at the Hobby Center. Tickets start at $15, not including ticket fees. Thursday 7:30pm; Friday 8pm; Sunday 2pm.
- Halloween Parties and Events Around Houston | Starts Friday, October 7 – Get spooked on a Ghost Tour in Galveston, shop for unique costumes during the Houston Grand Opera Warehouse Costume Sale, let loose at a the HMNS Spirits & Skeletons party or bring the whole family to the Fall Festival in Cinco Ranch during one of the many Halloween events happening this month.
- Oktoberfest Events Around Houston | Friday, October 7 to Sunday, October 9 – Can’t make the trip to Munich this year? Head to one of Houston’s many Oktoberfest celebrations to raise a glass and nosh Bavarian fare. Our favorites in October include the massive party at King’s Biergarten and 8th Wonder Brewery’s Achtoberfest.
- Bayou City Art Festival in Downtown Houston | Saturday, October 8 and Sunday, October 9 – Featuring works from more than 300 artists, the outdoor Bayou City Art Festival is back again this year with a festival including food trucks, live music, a kid’s zone, and opportunities to purchase artwork.
- Dragon Boat Regatta in Sugar Land | Saturday, October 8 and Sunday, October 9 | FREE – Cheer on teams as they paddle through the water of Brooks Lake, enjoy cultural performances, listen to live music, and nosh on delicious food during the Dragon Boat Regatta.
- HOUBBQ Collective Tailgate at Eight Row Flint | Sunday, October 9 – Chefs Chris Shepherd, Ryan Pera, and Seth Siegel-Gardner are coming together to raise funds for No Kid Hungry with a bbq feast of North Carolina style pulled pork, beef ribs, and Hill Country sausage. $45. 11am to 4pm.
- Fashion X Houston at Silver Street Studios | Thursday, October 13 to Saturday, October 15 – See collections from emerging and established designers from around the world during this three-day event featuring runway shows and a gallery of pieces from jewelry and accessory designers.
- Houston Italian Festival at the Italian Cultural & Community Center | Thursday, October 13 through Sunday, October 16 – Enjoy a weekend of music, contests, and family fun, complete with a grape stomp, bocce tournament, pasta-eating contest, Italian folk dancing, kids activities and more during the 38th Annual Houston Italian Festival.
- Bike Around the Bay in Galveston | Saturday, October 15 and Sunday, October 16 – Bike 170 miles around the entire Galveston Bay estuary during this annual ride that raises funds to preserve the bay.
- Houston Texans vs. Indianapolis Colts at NRG Stadium | Sunday, October 16 – JJ Watt is out for the season, but that won’t stop the Texans from fighting for a win against Stratford High graduate Andrew Luck and the Colts during this Sunday Night Football matchup.
- Lego KidsFest at NRG | Friday, October 21 to Sunday, October 23 – Learn, create, see, and explore at this interactive Lego festival that’s fun for the whole family. See models and displays made entirely out of Lego bricks, and create a masterpiece of your own.
- One Africa Music Fest at Toyota Center | Saturday, October 22 – The sounds of Africa will come to Houston’s Toyota Center Hear during this concert where you’ll hear artists like Banky W, 2Face, Vanessa Mdee, Fally Ipupa, Mafikizolo and countless others perform live.
- Houston Rockets Season Opener at Toyota Center | Sunday, October 30 – You can get a taste of the Rockets’ during a handful of preseason games earlier in the month, but the regular season will start with a game against the Dallas Mavs.
Be sure to subscribe to our free daily updates and weekend guide emails and receive our picks for great things to do in Houston in your inbox daily or once a week.
Click here to sign up.