Find the cant-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, August 24 to Sunday, August 28, 2016.
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself. Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
All Weekend Long
- Themed Dance Nights at Barbarella | Wednesday through Saturday – Depending on the night you attend, you can get down to soulful Motown during Gritz ‘N Gravy , the hippest current tracks with New Noise, or even some throwbacks during their ’90s Night. Be sure to check their Facebook page for the themes each night, as they often change. Cover ranges between $1 to $10. Wednesday to Saturday 9:30pm to 3am.
- Rush Process Festival of Handcrafted Animation at Aurora Picture Show | Friday & Saturday – Rush Process celebrates DIY, handcrafted animation as a vehicle for self-expression. Organized by Houston filmmaker Dave Merson Hess, the festival brings a diverse selection of new, non-digital animated works that touch upon a range of genres and techniques–including documentary, narrative, stop-motion, paper cut-out, direct animation and more. Tickets are $10 for one day; $15 for both days. 7:30pm.
Wednesday, August 24, 2016
- Stress Less Coloring Mandalas at Resurrection Metropolitan Community Church | FREE – Bring your coloring pencils to the Resurrection Metropolitan Community Church for Stress Less event. Relieve stress and manage your anxiety in a therapeutic way by coloring in unique circular mandalas . 7pm.
- Lyle Lovett and His Large Band in Concert at Hobby Center – Singer, composer, and actor, Lyle Lovett and His Large Band make their way to Sarofim Hall at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets range from $39.50 to $89.50 but you may find cheaper of better seats on TicketNetwork’s site. 8pm.
- Lip Sync Battle at Baker Street Pub | FREE to Attend – Bring your A-game, props, and costumes to Baker St. Pub and Grill when they host a six-week Lip Sync Battle featuring a grand prize of $1000 cash. Registration is required to compete. 9pm.
Thursday, August 25, 2016
- Cultured Cocktails at Boheme Café & Wine Bar – As part of Fresh Arts’ Cultured Cocktails series, join the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft for drinks and conversation at the Montrose bar Boheme. For this event, 10% of all drink sales will support Houston Center for Contemporary Craft. 5pm to 7pm.
- KYRA Pop-Up Shop at Space Showroom | FREE to Attend – Fashion Designer, Kemi Alao, launches a pop-up shop for her brand KYRA. Men’s and women’s ready-to-wear garments will be available for purchase at this event at Space Showroom. 7:30 to 9pm.
- Rock the Row at Hughes Landing | FREE to Attend – Bring your blankets and lawn chairs out to Hughes Landing in The Woodlands for an evening of live music. This event is part of the Rock the Row free concert series. 7pm to 9pm.
- Lilith Fund Taco & Beer Challenge at West Alabama Ice House | FREE to Attend – Join local Lilith Fund board members in support of women’s reproductive rights at the annual Taco and Beer Challenge at West Alabama Ice House. Eat delicious authentic street tacos, have a cold beer, and support a good cause. 8pm to 10pm.
- Poison Pen Reading Series at Poison Girl | FREE to Attend – Enjoy a live reading from three readers, each locally and nationally recognized writers of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction at the Montrose bar Poison Girl. 8:30pm.
Friday, August 26, 2016
- Fashion Truck Fest at 8th Wonder Brewery | FREE to Attend – Come savor the end of summer with the best of 8th Wonder Brewery cold brews and shop Fashion Trucks from around the state at the first Fashion Truck Fest. 5pm to 10pm.
- Fabiola: Lecture from artist Lauren Moya Ford at the Byzantine Fresco Chapel | FREE to Attend – Houston and Madrid-based artist Lauren Moya Ford’s Fabiola is a lecture performance that weaves a response to Francis Alÿs’s The Fabiola Project together with her reflections on recent experiences in art-filled churches and a failed romance in Europe. Seating is limited. 7pm.
- Dollie Barnes, The Sour Notes & more in Concert at Raven Tower | FREE to Attend – Sway to the sweet folky sounds of Dollie Barnes, the Austin-based indie band The Sour Notes and more at Raven Tower. 7pm.
- What’s Going On?: The Marvin Gaye Experience at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Soul man Brian Owen’s tribute to the legendary artist includes music selections that span Gaye’s music-making career. Early solo hits like “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” share space with “You’re All I Need to Get By” and other classic duets. And any Marvin Gaye song list would be incomplete without crowd-pleasers like “Let’s Get It On” or “Got To Give It Up.” 8pm to 10:30pm.
- Kinda Super Disco Night at Boondocks – Dance the night away to disco with special guest DJ Luca Bacchetti for the Kinda Super Disco night at the Montrose club Boondocks. Tickets range from $7 to $10. 9pm to 2am.
Saturday, August 27, 2016
- Houstonia Magazine’s Summer Shopping Soirée at Sliver Street Studios | FREE to Attend – Houstonia has handpicked local Houston boutiques and vendors for a one-day-only pop-up shopping event at Silver Street Studios. Enjoy specialty cocktails from Sourced Craft Cocktails, local food trucks, a vintage lounge from Georgia Brown Home and more. 10am to 3pm.
- Last Saturdaze at Top Vintage Clothing | FREE to Attend – The Top Vintage Clothing warehouse opens its doors for a Last Saturday shopping event. Located in South Houston, this clean and unique vintage shop will have live music, a DJ, and complimentary cocktails amongst the cool vintage clothing for sale. Noon to 7pm.
- MFAH Summer Film Series presents a screening of Too Late – Shot on 35mm in five scenes, this feature debut reveals in nonlinear fashion the tangled relationship between a troubled private investigator (John Hawkes) and the missing woman (Crystal Reed) he’s hired to find. Tickets are $9, not including ticket fees; $7 for seniors. 7pm.
- Back to School Beer Night with Saint Arnold Brewing Company at the Houston Arboretum – Enjoy a selection of Saint Arnold beers paired with fine cheeses from Houston Dairymaids at the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center before school starts up again. Ages 21 and up only. Tickets are $30 for members and $45 for non-members. 7pm to 9pm.
- Mind Shrine in Concert at Aloft Galleria | FREE to Attend – Head over to Aloft by the Galleria for a smooth evening of soul and jazz fusion with Mind Shrine. Enjoy a special full concert, get a cold drink at the WXYZ bar, and enjoy a Q&A after the show. 8pm to 11pm.
Sunday, August 28, 2016
- Coffee with Canines at Tout Suite | FREE to Attend – Join the Houston Homeless Pet Project for a food drive and adoption event at Tout Suite. Meet people and pets from Tad’s Toys, Paws and Recreation, and Your Hipster Pet to name a few. Be sure to bring your furry companion. 10am to 2pm.
- The Artisan Market at the Phoenix | FREE to Attend – Visit with some unique makers, artisans, artists, and other small business owners. For this market be prepared to shop, sip, and brunch with Market Houston and the Phoenix on Westheimer in Montrose. 11am to 5pm.
- 23rd Annual Theater District Open House in Downtown Houston | FREE to Attend – Marking the official launch of the fall performing arts season, this event is a free, family-friendly festival that takes place at venues throughout Downtown Houston. Open House features an array of free performances that highlight the best of what’s in store for the upcoming season, with everything from dance to music to theater, alongside exclusive behind-the-scenes experiences. Noon to 5pm.