Find the cant-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, August 17 to Sunday, August 21, 2016.
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself. Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
All Weekend Long
- Themed Dance Nights at Barbarella | Wednesday through Saturday – Depending on the night you attend, you can get down to soulful Motown during Gritz ‘N Gravy , the hippest current tracks with New Noise, or even some throwbacks during their ’90s Night. Be sure to check their Facebook page for the themes each night, as they often change. Cover ranges between $1 to $10. Wednesday to Saturday 9:30pm to 3am.
- Doll Partz Art Show at East End Studio Gallery | Friday & Saturday | FREE – East End Studio Gallery brings you “Doll Partz,” a one-weekend group art show. This theme includes the use of doll parts, old and new, doll art, broken dolls, and other doll part mediums to create a new life of its own. 6pm to 9pm.
Wednesday, August 17, 2016
- The Big Slide Show (Part 2) at Lawndale Art Center | FREE – Join Lawndale and Houston’s talented Big Show artists for short, informal presentations about their work currently on display. 6pm to 8pm.
- Tootsies Sizzling Summer Soireé – The Women of Wardrobe and TOOTSIES to present the annual Tootsies Sizzling Summer Soiree. Enjoy an evening with world renowned fashion and dress designer, Jay Godfrey, all while benefiting Dress for Success Houston. Tickets are $40 donation before the event and $45 donation at the door. Free for WOW members. 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Dance Theatre of Harlem at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Bring a blanket to enjoy a free performance by a multi-cultural dance institution that brings innovative and bold new forms of artistic expression to audiences in New York City, across the country, and around the world. 8:15pm.
- Lip Sync Battle at Baker Street Pub | FREE to Attend – Bring your A-game, props, and costumes to Baker St. Pub and Grill when they host a six-week Lip Sync Battle featuring a grand prize of $1000 cash. Registration is required to compete. 9pm.
- Wrestlers host an End of Summer Soirée at Arlo’s Ballroom | FREE to Attend – Dance-duo band Wrestlers get together to DJ and host an End of Summer Soirée dance night at Arlo’s Ballroom. Dance to disco, R&B, contemporary dance music, house and more. 10pm.
Thursday, August 18, 2016
- Blanket Bingo at Market Square Park – Bring blankets and lawn chairs, or show up early to snag one of the tables at the park for a night of bingo games, music, and prizes. The event typically sells out, so show up on time, if not early. Tickets are $10 and includes one bingo packet good for about nine games. Additional games and daubers can be purchased for $1 each. 6pm to 9pm.
- Cistern Tour and Happy Hour at Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern – Join The Rice Design Alliance on a tour of The Cistern at Buffalo Bayou Park and afterward, make your way into the Old Sixth Ward for drinks at Liberty Station. Tickets are $15 and includes your tour admission and your first drink. Space is limited. 6pm.
- 2016 SXSW Film H-Town Happy Hour at Aurora Picture Show | FREE – In partnership with staff from the SXSW Film Conference & Festival, Aurora Picture Show will host this event that poses a great opportunity to hang out with the Houston film community and chat with film programmers from SXSW Film. Whether you have questions about submitting a film to SXSW, want to learn more about the event or just want a free drink, feel free to stop in. 6pm to 8pm.
- Rock the Row at Hughes Landing | FREE to Attend – Bring your blankets and lawn chairs out to Hughes Landing in The Woodlands for an evening of live music. This event is part of the Rock the Row free concert series. 7pm to 9pm.
- Fetty Wap, T.I., Young Thug, Rick Ross and more in Concert at Toyota Center – Sharing the same stage for the first time ever, hip-hop heavyweights Fetty Wap, T.I., Young Thug, Rick Ross, Ty Dolla $ign, Bun B, and Metro Boomin promise the ultimate concert experience at Toyota Center. Tickets range from $35 to $160 but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s site. 7pm.
Friday, August 19, 2016
- Food Truck Festivus in La Porte | FREE to Attend – Enjoy a variety of delicious food and local vendors and beat the summer heat poolside with the Food Truck Festivus at the La Porte Wave Pool. This summertime event is free to attend. 5pm to 9pm.
- Heart with Joan Jett & The Blackhearts and Cheap Trick in Concert at Cynthia Woods – Come out to hear hits like “Barracuda”, and “I Love Rock n’ Roll” at this ’80s throwback concert with Heart, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, and Cheap Trick at the Cynthia Mitchell Woods Pavillion. Tickets start at $15, not including ticket fees. 6:30pm.
- The Sunshine Makers screening at 14 Pews – Catch a screening of The Sunshine Makers at 14 Pews in the Heights this weekend. This film tells the untold story of Nicholas Sand and Tim Scully, the unlikely duo at the heart of 1960s American drug counterculture. Tickets are $11; free for members. 7pm to 9pm.
- The Black Angels & Telephantom in Concert at the White Oak Music Hall – Catch a live show from Austins’ psychedelic rock band The Black Angels and openers Telephantom at the grand opening weekend of White Oak Music Hall. Tickets start at $20. 8pm.
- Thedra Cullar-Ledford Opening Reception & Piñata Smashing at CAMH | FREE – Join artist Thedra Cullar-Ledford at the opening reception of her exhibition Lady Part Follies in a participatory performance. Cullar-Ledford will invite a mastectomy survivor, other friends, and visitors to take a turn smashing the breast-shaped piñata hanging in her gallery space as a response to her feelings about her breast cancer diagnosis. 8pm to 9pm.
- So Like, Basically Comedy Show at Satellite Bar – Presented by Beta Theater, So Like, Basically is a monthly comedy show that happens at Satellite Bar in the East End. This month the show will be hosted by Kathryn Way. Ticket price TBA. 8pm to 9:30pm.
- Classic Albums Live: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars by David Bowie at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Bringing together some of the country’s finest musicians, Classic Albums Live performs on stage the exact sounds of the greatest albums of the ’60s and ’70s. Enjoy one of David Bowie’s best albums, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars in this free to attend event at Miller Outdoor Theatre. 8:15pm to 10:30pm.
Saturday, August 20, 2016
- Summer Studios 2016 at Project Row Houses | FREE – Project Row Houses presents Summer Studios 2016, which was developed to provide an opportunity for emerging artists to create and exhibit work that responds to, engages with and/or is reflective of the community. Check out the exhibits on opening day and enjoy a community market. 4pm to 7pm.
- Star Wars Marathon at Hobby Center – The Alamo Drafthouse celebrates the love for the movie trilogy that changed so many of lives for the better, with incredibly rare digital screenings of the special edition versions of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Return of the Jedi at Sarofim Hall at The Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets range from $25 to $50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s site. 4pm.
- Saint Arnold Pub Crawl in the Heights | FREE to Attend – Join the Saint Arnold Brewing Company for a pub crawl through the bustling 19th and 20th street area of the Heights in this free to attend event. 5pm to 9pm.
- Flea by Night at Discovery Green | FREE to Attend – This destination market features an array of artful kitsch, vintage items, mid-century modern furniture, recycled and repurposed items, and collectibles. The market can be found in the southeast end of the Downtown park, near The Grove and Hilton Americas. 6pm to 10pm.
- Snoop Dogg with Wiz Khalifa in Concert at Cynthia Woods – Sip on a gin and juice as you take in the laid back rap of the legendary LBC-repping Snoop Dogg. Wiz Khalifa opens the show. Tickets start at $26 lawn seating and range to $70.75 reserved pit seating not including ticket fees, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 6pm.
- Yuppie Heights Night Market | FREE to Attend – Shop products like shoes, candles, and accessories from various vendors as you sip on a glass of wine during this evening market in the Heights near Durham and the Katy Freeway. 6pm to 9pm.
- Miss Sharon Jones Screening at 14 Pews – Miss Sharon Jones follows the talented and gregarious soul singer of the Grammy-nominated R&B band “Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings.” In the most challenging year of her life, Sharon Jones confronts pancreatic cancer. As she struggles to find her health and voice again, the film intimately uncovers the mind and spirit of a powerful woman determined to regain the explosive singing career that eluded her for 50 years. Tickets are $11; free for members. 7pm to 9pm.
- RuPaul’s Drag Race Fan Favorite Latrice Royale at South Beach – Latrice Royale returns to the LGBT-friendly club South Beach for a show-stopping performance with an encore after midnight. After her performance, she will participate in a meet and greet with a photo shoot included. Cover at the door is $15. 9pm to midnight.
Sunday, August 21, 2016
- Local Brewery Burger Bash at Taps House of Beer | FREE – Enjoy a complimentary burger and cheer on your favorite local brewery. Local breweries battle it out in a burger bash of epic proportions where they will cook burgers, pair it with beer, and you choose the victor. 2pm.
- Live Drawing at TOMO Mags | FREE – Watch artists Blake Jones, Bluvvd, and Dalton Stark draw right in front of your eyes. Shop their artwork and magazines at TOMO Mags. 2pm to 5pm.
- Explosions in the Sky in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Come out to White Oak Music Hall on the Near Northside to hear the epic instrumental sounds of Explosions in the Sky at this outdoor venue. Preoccupations are set to open the show. Tickets are $25, not including fees. 7pm.
- Dierks Bentley in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Dierks Bentley makes his way to The Woodlands to play hits like “Say You Do” and “Different for Girls” with openers Randy Rouser and Cam and Tucker Beathard at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion. Tickets range from $26 to $60, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- Hawaiian Summer Luau Social at Omni Salsa | FREE to Attend with Costume – Dance salsa and bachata at the Hawaiian Summer Luau Social at Omni Salsa. This social will have limbo competitions, tropical jello shots, a live DJ, and even a free dancing class. Tickets range from $5 to $10; free to attend with Hawaiian costume before 7:30pm. 7pm to 11:30pm.