Make the most of your month with our list of our 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during August 2016.
Also in August 2016
Soak up your last few weeks of summer by attending the Heights’ annual White Linen Night, checking out the Texans’ talent for the upcoming season during training camp and pre-season games, exploring Houston’s performing arts scene during Theater District Open House, dining out at your favorite local spots during Houston Restaurant Weeks and more at these can’t-miss events in Houston this August.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of August, with the daily option closing out the list.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston: August 2016
- USA vs. Nigeria Basketball at Toyota Center | Monday, August 1 – Get amped for the Olympics while you watch team USA play Nigeria in this exhibition game at Houston’s Toyota Center.
- Houston Texans Training Camp at Houston Methodist Training Center | Select dates from Tuesday, August 2 to Thursday, August 18 – Watch the Houston Texans train for the upcoming NFL season during open training camp practices.
- UniverSoul Circus at Butler Stadium | Select dates from Thursday, August 4 to Thursday, August 11 – UniverSoul Circus is a tour de force of circus artistry from around the world. A big-top spectacle of global proportions, the 2016 production of UniverSoul Circus takes fans of all ages on an unforgettable journey of light, sound, and soul.
- Guns N’ Roses in Concert at NRG Stadium | Friday, August 5 – Rock out with the legendary Guns N’ Roses when their Not in This Lifetime Reunion Tour takes over NRG Stadium.
- White Linen Night in the Heights | Saturday, August 6 | FREE – Put on your whites and head to 19th Street for shopping, food, art, live music and more during the 10th-anniversary celebration of White Linen Night in the Heights.
- Galveston Heritage Festival at Kempner Park | Saturday, August 6 – Enjoy the music, food, and entertainment from numerous cultural groups and associations throughout the day while learning more about the early days of Galveston’s immigration movement.
- Gwen Stefani in Concert at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Sunday, August 14 – The lead singer of No Doubt will be performing hits from her latest album on her This is What the Truth Feels Like Tour. Catch her live in The Woodlands with R&B solo star and long-time collaborator, Eve set to open the show.
- Houston Chef Series: A Global Culinary Adventure Grand Finale Dinner at Vic & Anthony’s | Saturday, August 13 – Join Vic & Anthony’s Executive Chef Michael O’Connor, Landry’s Signature Group’s Executive Chef Carlos Rodriguez, and the eight executive chefs from earlier events for a special globetrotting dinner. The night is the final event in a series of nine summer dinners created by Landry’s Signature Group’s executive chefs. The dinner is $150 per person. Price doesn’t include tax and gratuity. 7pm.
- Dance Theatre of Harlem at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Wednesday, August 17 | FREE – The New York City-based professional ballet company Dance Theatre of Harlem will perform a thrilling free show that celebrates African American culture on the stage of Miller Outdoor Theatre in the Museum District.
- Andy Warhol: Sunset Film Exhibition Opening at Menil Collection | Thursday, August 18 | FREE – Check out this restored Andy Warhol film – originally commissioned by John and Dominique de Menil in 1964 – which captures sunsets from coast to coast and sound bites from the Velvet Underground singer Nico.
- Houston Texans Pre-Season Games at NRG | Saturday, August 20 and Sunday, August 28 – Gear up for the Texans’ upcoming season with two pre-season games at home – one against the New Orleans Saints and the other against the Arizona Cardinals.
- Pearland Wine and Food Festival | Saturday, August 27 – Sip on vino from Texas wineries during this annual festival in Pearland. Hosted by Dionisio Winery, the event features live music, local food, and award-winning wine.
- 23rd Annual Theater District Open House in Downtown Houston | Sunday, August 28 | FREE – Experience the thriving performing arts scene in Houston during this one-day, free and open to the public event showcasing live performances, discounted ticket offers, and behind-the-scenes tours.
- Houston Restaurant Weeks at Participating Restaurants Around Houston | Daily – Dine out for a good cause during this annual city-wide fundraiser for the Houston Food Bank. Restaurants will be offering prix fixe menus for brunch, lunch, and dinner.
- New York Delicatessen Month at Kenny & Ziggy’s New York Delicatessen and Restaurant | Daily – Kenny and Ziggy’s is hosting a foodie fundraiser of their own. In conjunction with delis across the country, they’ll be offering a special three-course menu featuring dishes like chopped liver, Hungarian goulash, noodle kugel, and cheesecake. A portion of each menu sold will be donated to YAD.
Be sure to subscribe to our free daily updates and weekend guide emails and receive our picks for great things to do in Houston in your inbox daily or once a week.
Click here to sign up.