Our My Top 5 feature showcases Houstonians who are shaping the culture in the city and impacting people’s lives. In turn, they share their own favorite things to do in Houston when they’re not hard at work. This week, we’re very pleased to feature Ashley Rose, founder of DIY lifestyle blog Sugar & Cloth and creator of the Sugar & Cloth Color Wall in the East End.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Ashley Rose
- Hermann Park – I live right near Hermann Park, so walking and biking around the golf course, gardens, and the lake has become a part of my everyday life. Spending time in the park is easily one of my favorite things to do in the evenings after a long day’s work.
- Exploring the Museum District – I always recommend a stop by the Museum District when friends from out of town come to visit Houston. Some of our favorites are the Museum of Fine Arts, Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, and the Menil Collection. Plus Thursdays are free admission to MFAH.
- Coltivare – Whenever I get a chance you’ll find me dining at Coltivare. Their fried cauliflower, pizza, and gin and tonics are my one-two-three punch combo from the menu.
- Captain Foxheart’s Bad News Bar – Grabbing evening cocktails on Captain Foxheart’s balcony with Houston’s skyline set as the backdrop is a big reason why I frequent this Downtown mainstay. Be sure to get their early if you want to snag a good seat to take in the view.
- Blanket Bingo in Market Square Park – I’m not one to pass up a good game of bingo, and because of that one of my favorite stops is Bingo in the Park at Market Square. If you can’t make it Downtown for a game try BYOB Bingo at the SPJST Lodge #88 in The Heights.
About Ashley Rose
Ashley Rose is the creative force behind both Sugar & Cloth, a Houston-based, DIY (do it yourself) lifestyle blog based in Houston, and the Sugar & Cloth Color Wall in the East End. After a stint in art school, Rose moved across the country and began blogging to share her creative endeavors with family back home. Since launching in 2011, Sugar & Cloth has been named Editor’s Choice for Best DIY Blog by Better Homes and Gardens, a Top 10 DIY Blog by Yahoo!, and has earned acclaim from The Huffington Post, Oprah Magazine, Martha Stewart Living, Good Housekeeping, HGTV, and others.