June is here and things are heating up, with Houston’s hottest culinary happenings, that is. So it’s time to kick off summer with a delicious bang.
Also in June 2016
It may be hot out, but have no fear. There is no shortage of opportunities to take refuge from the sun at Houston’s coolest local haunts. From the return of some beloved summer series to a beer festival and a fajita festival, here’s a look at what June has to offer.
Top 15 Food & Drink Events in Houston this Month
- Houston Chef Series: A Global Culinary Adventure at Landry’s Signature Restaurants | Select Wednesdays beginning June 1 – Start things off with Landry’s annual Houston Chef Series dinners, featured on select Wednesday evenings from June 1 through August 13. The private and exclusive dining experience will be hosted by each restaurant concept’s award-winning executive chefs, with this year’s theme being “A Global Culinary Adventure.” In June, the lineup includes Chef Jason Cole of Brenner’s Steakhouse (June 1), Chef Ricky Cruz of Grotto (June 8), Chef Trevor White of The Oceanaire (June 15), Chef Frank Lewis of Morton’s The Steakhouse (June 22), and Chef Ryan Braden of Brenner’s on the Bayou (June 29). $95 per dinner. 7pm all nights.
- Casamigos Tequila Pairing Dinner at Black & White | Thursday, June 2 – At this awesome tequila-paired dinner, guests will taste and learn about different types of Casamigos tequila, which are small batch, ultra premium tequilas made from the finest, hand-selected 100% Blue Weber agaves from the Highlands of Jalisco, Mexico. The Black & White team has created an elegant four-course menu, featuring dishes such as a Duo of Chalupitas and pork tenderloin and shrimp pibil. Cost is $85. 7pm.
- Houston Fajita Festival at Humble Civic Center | Saturday, June 4 – This first annual fajita festival is a celebration of Mexican culture, food, drinks and entertainment. Come hungry with family and friends to enjoy a day filled with a variety of delicious fajita goodness. Plus enjoy live art at the “Mural wall”, play with the kids in the “Playground” or relax with the cooling misters in the “Chill Zone.” $10; $5 for ages 5 to 12. VIP tickets available. 11am to 11pm.
- Rebecca Masson’s Dinner with My Friends featuring Chef Cody Sharp at Fluff Bake Bar | Monday, June 6 – This fun and funky dinner series features a collaborative six-course menu with a different guest chef each month. June’s guest of honor is Dallas’ talented Chef Cody Sharp. $95; plus optional $55 for wine pairings. 6pm.
- Loire Valley Wine Tasting at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse near the Galleria | Friday, June 10 – As a precursor to Loire Fest, a city-wide celebration of France’s Loire Valley wines, the Galleria wine team will lead guests through some incredibly delicious selections, including a classic dry Sauvignon Blanc, dry and off dry Chenin Blanc, delicate Pinot Noir, and spicy, herbal Cabernet Franc. $75. 5:30pm.
- Local Love & For the Love of Food Trucks Fest at Concrete Cowboy | Saturday, June 11 – Local Love – an event that showcases the best of Houston through local breweries, live music, live art and more – has joined forces with For the Love of Food Trucks food truck festivals to make a single spectacular celebration. Guests can expect around a dozen food trucks, plus vendors, bands and DJs, art, and beverage tastings. $5 in advance; $10 at the door. 11am to 8pm.
- H-town Beer Fest at Jones Plaza | Saturday, June 11 – UPDATE 6/1/16: Moved to Saturday, July 16. Enjoy live music, beers, vendors, and plenty of great eats. $25; $15 for designated driver tickets. 2pm to 10pm.
- 22nd Anniversary Party at Saint Arnold Brewery | Saturday, June 11 – In June of 1994, Houston’s oldest craft brewers shipped out their first keg of Amber Ale. 22 years later, Saint Arnold’s craft brew game is as strong as ever. Help them celebrate their love of all things craft with live music; food trucks like the Burger Joint, Coreanos and Golden Grill; live music by Wild Moccasins; and delicious brews. $25. 5pm to 10pm.
- Villa Maria Wine-Pairing Dinner at Ouisie’s Table | Wednesday, June 15 – Meet Gordon Russell, one of New Zealand’s most recognized winemakers from one of New Zealand’s most acclaimed wineries, as he introduces and discusses several of wines from the Villa Maria winery during a very special six-course wine dinner. $75. 6:30pm.
- Domaine Vordy Winemakers Dinner at Frank’s American Revival | Wednesday, June 15 – French Country Wines is teaming up with popular River Oaks restaurant Frank’s American Revival to present an elegant dinner, featuring special guests Helene and Didier Vordy, owners and winemakers of Domaine Vordy in the Minervois. The four-course, five-wine dinner is $65. 7pm.
- Mixers & Elixirs at Houston Museum of Natural Science | Friday, June 17 – Summer’s highly anticipated monthly event is back at the HMNS. Don’t miss your chance to mingle with the dinosaurs, as the museum opens up for a night of music, dancing, cocktails and fun. H-town StrEATs, Pitas Bites Mediterranean Cuisine and Los Tacos Hermanos will be serving up tasty eats. $25; $12 for museum members. Opens at 7pm.
- The Herbs at Provence: Summer Wine Dinner at Bistro Provence | Tuesday, June 21 – Basil is the star at this refreshing summer dinner from one of Houston’s first and finest French bistros. Unlike the traditional wine dinners, this dinner will not come with specific paired wines, but with paired wines sold separated by the bottle at greatly reduced prices ($30 to $69 per bottle). Guests may also order wines by the glass or other bottles from the regular wine menu. $45, plus tax and gratuity. Reservations are required, but time of seating is any time between 5pm and 9pm.
- Sundown at the Grove on Discovery Green | Wednesday, June 22 and Wednesday, June 29 – This fan favorite summer series is back every Wednesday night through the end of August. The weekly event is set on Grove’s beautiful rooftop patio overlooking the lush Discovery Green, and features a craft brewery’s flight of beer paired with unique eats from the sous chef team, led by Chef De Cuisine Ryan Williams. 5:30pm to 8pm.
- Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine Dinner at Le Mistral | Thursday, June 23 – Chef David Denis has put together an extravagant 4-course menu, featuring the wines of Châteauneuf-du-Pape and dishes such as open-faced lobster tail ravioli with dill leeks etouffee and beef chateaubriand with a hazelnut zucchini beignet. $120. 5pm to 10pm.
- Guest Chef Night featuring Bernie’s Burger Bus Chef Justin Turner at The Burger Joint | Tuesday, June 28 – Earlier this spring, The Burger Joint introduced a fun dinner series, where a different Houston chef is invited to create a special menu to benefit their charity of choice on the last Tuesday evening of the month. This month, Chef Justin Turner of Bernie’s Burger Bus will be in the house creating something fantastic, with proceeds benefiting the Periwinkle Foundation. 6pm to 10pm.