Make the most of your week with our top 17 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, May 9 to Sunday, May 15, 2016.
Happening in Houston This Week
Also in May 2016
Race a go-kart against Brian Cushing, explore new photographic art at HCP, wine and dine while touring homes in Bellaire, crack into some mudbugs in Market Square Park and more.
Top 17 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Houston Astros vs. Cleveland Indians at Minute Maid Park | Monday, May 9 to Wednesday, May 11 – Get loud for the Astros when they take the field to play the Indians in a three-game series at Minute Maid Park. Tickets start at $15, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale marketplace. 7:10pm Monday and Tuesday; 1:10pm Wednesday.
- The Cushing Cup Celebrity Go-Karting Challenge at K1 Speed | Tuesday, May 10 – Race your go-kart through the track to try to beat Houston Texan inside linebacker Brian Cushing and his teammates during this fundraising event at K1 Speed. Tickets are $300. 5pm to 8pm.
- Let’s Talk Houston Dinner at B&B Butchers & Restaurant | Tuesday, May 10 – Dine with some of Houston’s most influential people including chef Luca Manfe and boxer Lou Savarese during this culinary event that raises funds for the T.J. Martell Foundation. The cost of the dinner is $200. 6:30pm.
- Disclosure in Concert at Revention Music Center | Tuesday, May 10 – Grammy nominated duo Disclosure (you’ve probably heard of their single “Latch” featuring Sam Smith) will bring their electronic music to Revention Music Center for a concert promoting their latest album Caracal. Tickets start at $35; but you may find cheaper or better tickets on TicketNetwork’s resale marketplace. 8pm.
- Wine. Dine. Design. on Wheels at Evelyn’s Park | Thursday, May 12 – Tour four Bellaire homes while enjoying cocktails and bites from food trucks at each location. There will be shuttles between stops and a pop-up whiskey bar from Reserve 101. Tickets are $100. 6pm to 9pm.
- Opening Receptions at Houston Center for Photography | Friday, May 13 | FREE – See the debuts of Eric Kayne’s and Samantha Geballe’s photo exhibits. 5:30pm to 8pm.
- Zelary Screening at the Czech Center Museum | Friday, May 13 | FREE – Watch a free screening of Zelary – a Slavic film about a nurse and her surgeon-lover who must flee Czechoslovakia – at the Czech Center Museum. 7pm to 9pm.
- Southern Star Brewery Grand Opening | Saturday, May 14 | FREE to Attend – Head up to Conroe to celebrate Southern Star Brewing Company’s grand opening with lawn games, craft beer and live music on the 13-acre property. Dogs and children welcome. Noon to 8pm.
- 2nd Saturday Nites: Bayou Jamboree & Crawfish Boil at Historic Market Square | Saturday, May 14 | FREE to Attend – Chow down on crawfish and Cajun favorites from Treebeard’s, sip on ice cold brews and listen to the lively sounds of Zydeco Dots. 3pm.
- The Cure in Concert at Toyota Center | Saturday, May 14 – Watch from the crowd as The Cure plays hits like “Fascination Street”, “Just Like Heaven” and “Boys Don’t Cry” live at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $25, but you may find cheaper or better tickets on TicketNetwork’s resale marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Beethoven’s Ninth at the Wortham Center | Saturday, May 14 – Mercury performs Beethoven’s last symphony with the help of the Houston Symphony Chorus at the Wortham Center. Tickets start at $19. 8pm.
- Loretta Lynn in Concert at Arena Theater | Saturday, May 14 – Country music legend Loretta Lynn will bring her beautiful voice to Arena Theater for a live show in the bayou city. Tickets start at $45.50; but limited discounted $24.50 tickets are available. 8:30pm.
- Bring Your Own Beamer Projector Party at The Menil Collection | Saturday, May 14 | FREE – Bring your own picnic, blankets and footage to project images, videos or films onto the Menil Collection’s façade during this free event. Advance registration is already filled, but additional spots will be available on a first come, first serve basis. 8pm.
- Bayou City Concert Musical presents Embraceable You at the Ensemble Theatre | Saturday, May 14 and Sunday, May 15 – Catch Bayou City Concert Musicals’ production of Embraceable You, a cabaret featuring songs like “I Got Rhythm,” “You Can’t Take That Away from Me” and “Embraceable You”. Tickets are $25. 7:30pm Saturday; 4pm Sunday.
- Go Wagyu at Soma Sushi | Sunday, May 15 – 10 local chefs will battle it out to see who makes the best dish with Wagyu beef. Guests will sample bites and enjoy craft beer and vino from Duchman Winery. Tickets start at $199. 4pm to 8pm.
- Hall & Oates in Concert at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Sunday, May 15 – Daryl Hall and John Oates will take the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion stage for a concert of some of the duo’s greatest hits. Tickets start at $25, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- The Mischievous Muse at The MATCH | Sunday, May 15 – Houston’s own Axiom Quartet will perform works from Beethoven, Janacek and Smetana during this concert at The MATCH. Tickets are $25. 7:30pm.
Find more great stuff to do this week with our our top things to do with kids this week, Weekend Guide for May 12 to 15, 2016 and top things to do in Houston in May 2016.
You can also search our interactive event calendar by date, location and category.
Be sure to subscribe to our free daily email and weekend planner emails and receive a our picks for great things to do in Houston in your in-box daily or once a week.
Click here to sign up.