Make the most of your month with our list of our 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during May 2016.
Also in May 2016
There’s no shortage of festivals happening in H-Town this month. From beer and barbeque to art and cultural festivals, there’s something for everyone. Don’t miss Beyonce’s appearance, Southern Star Brewery’s grand opening or Cinco de Mayo celebrations at these can’t-miss events in Houston this May.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of May.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston: May 2016
- Cinco de Mayo Parties Around Houston | Thursday, May 5 – Go all out for Cinco de Mayo this year. There’s a free screening of ¡Three Amigos! in Historic Market Square; a taco-eating contest and salsa dancing at Batanga; food and drink specials on the Pub Crawl in Midtown; taco & nacho buffet and margarita buckets at Howl at the Moon; food trucks, live music and pints the Cinco de Mile Block Party on Main Street; and more.
- 5th Annual Star Wars Art Festival: Revenge of the Fifth in the East End | Friday, May 6 through Sunday, May 8 – May the Force be with you as you browse a selection of Star Wars-themed artwork by artists near and far, far away curated by War’Hous’ Dandee Warhol. Costumes encouraged. The event starts with a VIP preview party on Friday evening, followed by the two-day afternoon festival. Tickets start at $5 for Saturday or Sunday; $8 for both days; or $25 for the VIP party and both days.
- AsiaFest 2016 at Asia Society Texas Center | Saturday, May 7 | FREE to attend – Celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month at this family-friendly event featuring hands-on activities, food, musical and dance performances and more. 10am to 6pm.
- Beyoncé in Concert at NRG Stadium | Saturday, May 7 – Fresh of her debut of Lemonade, welcome Queen B back to Houston and watch her perform live as part of The Formation World Tour at NRG. Tickets start at $45, but you may find better or otherwise hard-to-get seats on TicketNetwork’s resale marketplace.
- Houston Dragon Boat Festival at Tony Marron Park | Saturday, May 7 and Sunday, May 8 | FREE to attend – Roll out a blanket along the banks of Buffalo Bayou to cheer teams on during the annual dragon boat race and festival. Enjoy the outdoors while taking in cultural performances, dances, live music and tons of food and libations.
- Southern Star Brewery Grand Opening FunFest in Conroe | Saturday, May 14 | FREE to attend – Head up to Conroe to celebrate Southern Star Brewing Company’s grand opening with lawn games, craft beer and live music on the 13-acre property. Children and dogs are both welcome. Noon to 8pm
- 2nd Saturday Nites: Bayou Jamboree & Crawfish Boil at Market Square Park | Saturday, May 14 | FREE to attend – Chow down on crawfish and Cajun favorites from Treebeard’s, sip on ice cold brews and listen to the lively sounds of the Zydeco Dots. 3pm to 7pm. Market on Main follows from 7pm to 2am.
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Beamer) Projector Party at The Menil Collection | Saturday, May 14 | FREE – Bring your own picnic, blankets and footage to project images, videos or films onto the Menil Collection’s façade during this free event that finds those attending working with projectors. 8pm.
- 43rd Annual Pasadena Strawberry Festival | Friday, May 20 to Sunday, May 22 – Witness the world’s largest strawberry shortcake, tap your feet to live country music, let the little ones venture into the Kids Zone, check out the BBQ Cookoff and more at this family-friendly festival. Tickets start at $13.65 not including ticket fees. Times vary daily.
- Houston Astros vs. Texas Rangers at Minute Maid Park | Friday, May 20 to Sunday, May 22 – Get loud for the Astros when they take the field to play against the division leading Rangers in a three game series at Minute Maid Park. Tickets start at $11; but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale marketplace. 7:10pm.
- Puppies for Breakfast: The Awesome Dog Fest at Historic Market Square | Saturday, May 21 – Begin your weekend with four-legged fun, with more than 40 vendors selling doggie goods, a costume contest, food trucks and more. $5 suggested donation. 10am to 2pm.
- Big Texas Beer Fest at NRG Park | Saturday, May 21 – Typically hosted in North Texas, the Big Texas Beer Fest is heading to Houston for samplings of more than 300 beers from 80 breweries, live music and food trucks at NRG. Tickets start at $39 not including ticket fees.
- The Lumineers in Concert at White Oak Music Hall | Saturday, May 21 – The brand new White Oak Music Hall (WOMH) welcomes Denver-based folk rock band The Lumineers to Houston for a Saturday night show with opening acts Soak and Sleepwalkers.
- 4th Annual Houston Barbecue Festival at NRG Park | Sunday, May 22 – Stuff your face with unlimited ‘que from some of Houston’s best joints like CorkScrew, Gatlin’s and Killen’s, as well as guest pitmasters Wayne Mueller of Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor and Bryan Bracewell of Southside Market in Elgin during this event at NRG Park. Tickets start at $63.99 not including ticket fees.
- Memorial Day Blowout with The Flaming Lips at White Oak Music Hall | Sunday, May 29 – WOMH is hosting an epic Memorial Day weekend show headlined by The Flaming Lips and featuring 9 other bands. Tickets start at $35 not including ticket fees.
Be sure to subscribe to our free daily updates and weekend guide emails and receive a our picks for great things to do in Houston in your in-box daily or once a week.
Click here to sign up.