Celebrate the vision and the impact of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with these Houston MLK Day 2016 celebrations parades, performances and gatherings from Friday, January 15 to Monday, January 18, 2016.
Although the official day for honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. may not be until Monday, January 18, there are plenty of celebrations and events on Saturday and Sunday leading up to Houston MLK Day 2016.
Friday, January 15, 2016
- Still Dreaming: Black Lives Matter, Hip Hop & MLK’s Legacy at Rothko Chapel | FREE – Rice presents a discussion and performance in honor of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday with a panel that includes award-winning artist David Banner, Houston legend Bernard “Bun B” Freeman, musical ambassador Toni Blackman, and author and Rice University professor Dr. Anthony Pinn. 7pm.
Saturday, January 16, 2016
- Black Heritage Society’s MLK Children’s March | FREE – Children’s groups of all backgrounds will will march in solidarity with the dream of Martin Luther King, Jr. at this procession starting at the intersection of Hamilton and Texas in Downtown. 10am to noon.
- Black Heritage Society’s Community & Health Festival at McGregor Park | FREE – Enjoy healthy activities and games, displays, music, food and community in the park which is home to Greater Houston’s newest MLK memorial statue. 11am to 5pm.
- 10th Annual MLK Youth Parade | FREE – See 20 marching bands, 10 parade floats and lots of youthful spirit at this always entertaining parade that draws about 200,000 spectators along San Jacinto and Elgin in Midtown. Noon to 5pm.
Sunday, January 17, 2016
- Black Heritage Society’s MLK, Jr. Gospel Fest in Downtown | FREE – Enjoy live gospel, treats and more at this Sunday afternoon celebration on Jones Plaza. 5pm to 8pm.
- 15th Annual MLK Battle of The Bands Competition at Rice Stadium – Twenty nationally acclaimed marching bands hailing from Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas will compete for first place. $10. 4pm to 8pm.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Monday, January 18, 2016
- 22nd Annual MLK Grande Parade in Midtown | FREE – More than 300,000 spectators are expected for this large two-hour parade honoring Dr. King with 30 marching bands and 15 parade floats. 10am to Noon.
- Black Heritage Society’s 37th Annual “Original” MLK Birthday Parade in Downtown | FREE – The Black Heritage Society’s annual MLK Day Parade will wind its way through Downtown. It will start at Texas Avenue and Crawford Street, next to Minute Maid Park, and travel Northeast on Texas to San Jacinto. 10am to 1pm.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day at Children’s Museum of Houston – Bring the kids to a day of celebration of African-American culture, ingenuity, peace and leadership. $5. Noon.
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day at Rothko Chapel | FREE – In honor of MLK Day, the Rothko Chapel will play a selection of his speeches at 11am, 1pm, 3pm, and 5pm. Guests will hear Dr. King’s distinctive voice and message resonate amidst the acoustics of the Chapel. Suggested donation of $10.
- Black Heritage Society’s MLK, Jr. Post Parade Concert & Entertainment at Jones Plaza | FREE – Enjoy music, live entertainment, food and more at an afternoon celebration of Martin Luther King in Downtown. 1pm to 5pm.