Make the most of your month with our list of our 16 favorite events and happenings in Houston during January 2016.
Also in January 2016
The new year brings countless new events to Houston.
We hope that 2016 is full of delicious food, raging concerts, delightful shows, charitable benefits, action-packed games, and all-around entertaining events.
To help you navigate the first 31 days of 2016, we’ve put together a list of our favorite events happening all month long.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of January.
Top 16 Things to Do in Houston: January 2016
- Houston Texans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars at NRG Stadium | Sunday, January 3 – Yell for the Texans as they take on the Jaguars during this division rivalry at NRG Stadium and try to increase their playoff chances.
- Houston Symphony presents Star Wars & More: A Tribute to John Williams at Jones Hall | Friday, January 8 through Sunday, January 10 – Be immersed in the scores of beloved films, including Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Jaws, E.T. and the Harry Potter series.
- The Sale at Bayou City Event Center | Saturday, January 9 and Sunday, January 10 – Shop items from local boutiques under one roof during this massive sale that benefits the The University of Texas MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital.
- Galveston Restaurant Week | Saturday, January 9 to Saturday, January 23 – Go down island and order off special prix fixe menus at participating restaurants during the annual Galveston Restaurant Week to support the Galveston County Food Bank.
- Madonna in Concert at Toyota Center | Tuesday, January 12 – Don’t miss your chance to see legendary performer Madonna during her Rebel Heart Tour – which only has two scheduled shows in Texas – at Toyota Center.
- Yaga Chili Quest & Beer Fest 2016 in Galveston | Saturday, January 16 – The annual festival hosted by Yaga’s Café in Galveston is back again for a day full of chili sampling and beer tasting.
- Urban Harvest’s 16th Annual Fruit Tree Sale at Rice University | Saturday, January 16 – Pick out temperate, tropical and/or citrus fruit trees from an extensive selection during the 16th Annual Fruit Tree Sale hosted by Urban Harvest.
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis in Concert at Revention Music Center | Saturday, January 16 – Belt out the words to “Downtown” when you see the American hip hop duo Macklemore & Ryan Lewis live at Revention Music Center.
- Chevron Houston Marathon in Downtown | Sunday, January 17 – Run, volunteer or simply show up to support runners during the Chevron Houston Marathon and Aramco Houston Half Marathon that winds through Houston, beginning and ending in Downtown.
- Margarita Madness at HCCC | Thursday, January 21 – The Houston Center for Contemporary Craft is celebrating 15 years with a Quinceañera. Enjoy bottomless margaritas, Latin American food, a silent auction, live music and more during this festive celebration.
- Rainbow on Ice at Discovery Green | Friday, January 22 | FREE to Attend – This annual family-friendly LGBT celebration brings electrifying performances and entertainment to The Ice at Discovery Green.
- BodyTraffic Dance Company at Wortham Center | Saturday, January 23 – Don’t miss your chance to see the highly acclaimed, Los Angeles-based contemporary dance company Bodytraffic live at the Wortham Center.
- Mardi Gras Parties in Galveston | Starts Friday, January 29 – Let the good times roll while celebrating Mardi Gras at dinners, parties, parades and more around Galveston.
- Choco Loco 5k in Uptown Park | Saturday, January 30 – Race through Uptown Park in a 5k or 10k (there’s also a 1k run for the kiddos) and you’ll be treated to lots of chocolate. The post race party includes a chocolate fountain, live music and other goodies from local vendors.
- The Harlem Globetrotters at NRG Stadium | Saturday, January 30 and Sunday, January 31 – The Harlem Globetrotters are heading back to Houston where they’ll be performing a hilarious show full of tricks as part of their 90th Anniversary World Tour.
- 9th Annual One Pot Showdown at Saint Arnold | Sunday, January 31 – See what teams come up with when they’re challenged to a one pot cook off using Saint Arnold beers. This delicious fundraiser benefits Kids’ Meals.