See where the city’s art offerings can take you this month with our top picks for openings and events for December 2015.
Also in December 2015
Start planning your December with our guide to the city’s museum, gallery, and art space offerings this month.
Top 10 December Art Openings & Events in Houston
- Screening of Surrealistic Fantasy-Drama Touki Bouki at Blaffer | Thursday, December 3 | FREE – Journey into the mystical world of New Wave-influenced Touki Bouki at the University of Houston’s Blaffer Art Museum. Considered to be one of the most important African films ever made, the film follows two young lovers who long to leave Dakar for the enchanting nature of France. The screening will be held in conjunction with the Blaffer’s equally mystical group exhibition Time/Image.
- Ceramics Workshop and Lecture at Asia Society | Saturday, December 5 | FREE – Enjoy an afternoon crafting ceramic sculptures following a lecture on the work of contemporary Korean ceramicist, Yeesookyung. Known for utilizing broken ceramics, Yeesookyung transforms the shattered pieces into sculptures which challenge both the sculptural and ceramic mediums. Reserve a spot now and craft your own interpretation after learning more about Yeesookyung’s process.
- Metropolitan Opera Singer Jennifer Cano at The Menil Collection | Tuesday, December 8 – Experience the opera at the Menil when singer Jennifer Cano, cellist Colin Carr, and pianist Thomas Sauer transform the museum foyer for this one-of-a-kind program. The performance will draw parallels between composing legend, Schumann and his lasting influence on American composer, Peter Lieberson. The classical dedication, presented by Da Camera, explores the relationship of two kindred musical spirits separated by 140 years. Tickets start at $40 not including ticket fees.
- Do-it-yourself Jedi Animation Happy Hour at Aurora Picture Show | Thursday, December 10 – Celebrate the new Star Wars movie with Aurora Picture Show by making your own Jedi stop-motion animation. Enjoy a stiff drink from the Aurora Mos Eisley Cantina while you craft your own action-figure short film with the all the technology and toys you need supplied. No experience or assembly is required for this Rice Village located family-friendly event. Tickets start at $30 for non-members and $20 for Aurora members not including ticket fees.
- Jennie C. Jones Abstract Acoustic Paintings Opening at CAMH | Friday, December 11 through Friday, March 27 | FREE – Featuring works on paper, sculptures, sound installations, and her iconic Acoustic paintings, this mid-career exhibition on Jennie C. Jones acts as a comprehensive survey of the conceptual artist’s wide-ranging scope of work. Often found paying tribute to jazz vocalists and instrumentalists, Brooklyn-based Jones intertwines visual genres with sound to represent iconic moments by musicians that have inspired her.
- Origins of La Virgen de Guadalupe Opening at HMNS| Daily starting Friday, December 11 – Trace the story of La Virgen de Guadalupe back to its origins in this thought provoking exhibition at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Unravel the mystery and mystique behind the symbol of hope to millions when La Virgen de Guadalupe: Empress of the Americas opens at HMNS. Tickets start at $35 not including ticket fees; limited $16 tickets available.
- Opening for Collage-based Exhibition The Precarious at The Menil Collection | Wednesday, December 16 | FREE – Pulling heavily from the museum’s own collection, the Menil brings you an exhibition that focuses primarily on modern collage tradition. Rather than shy away from the worlds disposable objects, the artists included in The Precarious have embraced these found materials to make something beautiful out of the forgotten.
- Christmas Village at Bayou Bend | Select Nights from Monday, December 17 through Sunday, December 30 – Featuring festive lights, decorations, and live performances, Christmas Village at Bayou Bend transforms the 14 acre property into a winter wonderland walk. Immerse yourself in the splendor of the holiday season with a live performance by Cabaret Da Camera on select dates or snag a photo with Santa or Mrs. Claus.
- Day for Night Music & Art Festival at Silver Street Studios | Saturday, December 19 and Sunday, December 20 – Experience a first of its kind music and art festival presented by Free Press Houston. Taking over Silver Street Studios and the surrounding areas, the two-day weekend-long winter festival boasts a line-up of top-notch musicians and digital artists. Imagine a festival with a heavy focus on merging sound with visuals.
- Folklore Storytelling paired with the World War II Photography of Roman Vishniac at MFAH| Sunday, December 20 – Join the MFAH and praised storyteller Rabbi Dan Gordon for a visual and lectured tour of World War II ravaged Eastern Europe. Presented in conjunction with wartime photo-exhibtion, Roman Vishniac Rediscovered, transport yourself to the bustling streets of Germany as Gordon brings Vishniac’s photography to life.