Take in the holiday lights and décor when you visit these displays in and around Houston this winter.
The holidays are in full swing and lights are starting to go up all over town. Some of Houston’s favorite attractions and landmarks will be lit up with thousands of colorful bulbs throughout this festive season, and we’re here to help with a guide of when and where to see the best displays.
- Zoo Lights at the Houston Zoo | Through Saturday, January 9 – Sip on hot chocolate as you stroll around the Houston Zoo taking in the displays made up of more than two million lights. Check out the train display and enjoy music from local carolers at the Reflection Pool stage at 7pm and 8pm each evening. $19.95; $14.95 for Zoo members on the weekends; $14.95; $9.95 for Zoo members on weekdays; free for children 1 and under. 6pm to 10pm Mondays to Thursdays; 6pm to 11pm Fridays to Sundays; closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens | Through Sunday, January 10 – See the impressive one million light display at Moody Gardens complete with animation and sound-enhancement during the annual Festival of Lights. While you’re there, take a spin on the ice at the outdoor skating rink. $10.95. 6pm to 10pm daily.
- Magical Winter Lights at Sam Houston Race Park | Through to Wednesday, January 20, 2016 – Explore the seven themed areas of Sam Houston Race Park’s Magical Winter Lights, featuring larger-than-life Chinese lanterns that resemble landmarks in America, Europe, Asia, Australia and more. $27; $16 for children 4 to 12; free for children under 4. 5pm to 10pm Mondays to Thursdays; 1pm to 11pm Fridays and Saturdays; 1pm to 10pm Sundays.
- Field of Light at Discovery Green | Through Sunday, February 21 | FREE – Bruce Munro’s Field of Light installation will return to Discovery Green to illuminate the park with bulbs and stems connected by fiber optic cables. 3pm to 11pm daily.
- Christmas Tree Lighting in Sugar Land | Thursday, December 3 | FREE – See the lighting of the towering 40-foot tree in Sugar Land’s Town Square during a ceremony with an appearance from Santa Clause, holiday refreshments and live performances. 5pm to 8pm.
- Christmas On Main Street in La Porte | Thursday, December 3 | FREE – Head to Five Points Plaza for a holiday celebration complete with appearances by Mr. and Mrs. Claus and Frozen characters, a mega slide, face painting and the main event – the lighting of the Christmas tree followed by a parade of lights. 5pm to 8pm.
- 96th Annual Mayor’s Holiday Celebration and Tree Lighting at City Hall | Friday, December 4 | FREE – Join Mayor Parker for this annual holiday extravaganza including music, fireworks, the lighting of the tree and more family fun. Bring a new toy to donate and you’ll receive a light up Santa hat. 6pm to 8pm.
- Katy Old-Fashioned Christmas | Saturday, December 5 – The Old-Fashioned Christmas festivities kick off at Harvest Plaza in Katy with carolers and kids crafts that include writing a letter to the North Pole, making ornaments and reindeer food and photos with Santa. The official tree lighting will take place at 6pm. $5 for photos with Santa. 11am.
- Christmas Boat Lane Parade in League City | Saturday, December 12 | FREE – Watch from the shore as brightly decorated boats set sail from South Shore Harbour Marina and Nassau Bay Lagoon to Galveston Bay. 6pm.
- 6th Annual Holiday Lights Tour on The Wave | Select Nights from Tuesday, December 15 through Thursday, December 24 – Hop on The Wave and gaze at holiday lights as the bus takes you to see the tree at City Hall, Field of Light at Discovery Green and decorated homes in River Oaks and Woodland Heights. $30. 6:30pm to 9:30pm nightly.