Each week, our My Top 5 series highlights an enterprising Houstonian and asks them to share their own favorite things to do in Houston. This week, we’re very pleased to feature Vicki Powers, founder of Houston on the Cheap, and reveal her favorite things to do in her downtime.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Vicki Powers
- The Heights – I love escaping the suburbs and going to the Heights. Whether it’s shopping at my favorite shops Emerson Rose and Jubilee, having Snickerdoodle coffee at Happy Fatz, exploring vintage shops like Retropolis or just grabbing queso and tacos at Torchy’s, it’s always a fun day. My husband and I have even stayed in a bed-n-breakfast in the Heights for a little staycation!
- Via Colori Street Painting Festival – This is one of my favorite free events in Houston each November. Via Colori is all about creativity, where artists splash colorful chalk art right on the streets of downtown. I am thrilled to sponsor a 10×10 ft. square this year! And as a bonus, the event is a fundraiser for children with hearing problems. No surprise, folks wash down the streets Sunday night to avoid distracted drivers Monday morning!
- Theater District Open House – This is another free annual event I can’t miss. I love getting access to the different theater district venues and watching snippets of the upcoming seasons by TUTS and Broadway Across America. It’s also a day of discounts for specific shows and subscription series. Catching a pic with Houston Ballet’s The Nutcracker characters is a must!
- Chuy’s Comida Tex Mex – I have to get my Tex-Mex fix! I grew up at the original Chuy’s in Austin so I was thrilled when it transplanted to Houston. Being a dog lover, I love how folks can bring in a framed picture of their dog in exchange for a free appetizer. I have two dogs on their wall!
- Studio Movie Grill Girls’ Night Out – Each month the theater hosts $3 movies for classic chick flicks. It’s fun to relive these movies on the big screen and introduce them to my daughters.
About Vicki Powers
Vicki Powers is a journalist who founded Houston on the Cheap in 2009. She loves helping others save money and discover free fun in Houston. Vicki is part of a weekly radio segment on KSBJ 89.3 sharing free weekend fun. She is an avid animal lover and serves many local philanthropies through National Charity League. Vicki lives with her husband, two daughters, and rescue goldendoodle, Maisy.