Explore the many facets of Houston’s art community with our top picks for openings and events for October 2015.
You’ll get a sense of Houston’s dynamic nature with this guide to the city’s museum, gallery, and art space offerings this month.
Top 10 October Art Openings & Events in Houston
- Author reading from Pow Wow: Contemporary Artists Working in Houston at CAMH | Thursday, October 8 | FREE – Join Pete Gershon, the program coordinator for the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston’s Core Residency Program, as he reads from his Houston-centric work-in-progress Pow Wow: Contemporary Artists in Houston 1972-1985. 6:30pm.
- The Yup’ik Dance Masks Tradition at The Menil Collection | Thursday, October 8 | FREE – Take in a fascinating conversation between curator, Sean Mooney, and Central Yup’ik Eskimo, Chuna McIntyre, as they discuss the cultural traditions of the Alaskan Yup’ik people. The chat coincides with the Menil’s artifact-oriented exhibition MicroCosmos, which was curated by Mooney. 7pm.
- Travis Boyer “Do We Agree?” at Hello Project Gallery | Friday, October 9 | FREE – Texas-born, New York-based, Travis Boyer will be altering the known story of the late Tejano pop star, Selena in his upcoming exhibition at Hello Project. Through a language of fan-fiction Boyer will create a scene where the two artists discuss their ideas about the project. 7pm to 10pm.
- Corpocracy at The Station Museum of Contemporary Art | Saturday, October 10 | FREE – Explore the satirical side of corporate culture and capitalism at this group exhibition on view through February 14, 2016. 7pm.
- 2:2:2 Exchange Public Lecture with Maria Gaspar at Project Row Houses | Tuesday, October 13 | FREE – Join the Chicago-based artist as she explores collaborative projects that engage community-based participation. Located in Houston’s northern Third Ward in one of the city’s oldest African American neighborhoods, Project Row Houses is a community-based arts and culture non-profit organization. 6:30pm.
- Zine Fest Houston 2015 at The Printing Museum | Saturday, October 17 | FREE – Dedicated to promoting zines, minicomics, and other forms of small press, Zine Fest is back again in their grassroots attempt to bring the Houston community together while also introducing it to media creators in other areas. 2pm to 8pm.
- Bill Daniel’s Tri-X Noise Photo Pop-Up at Rice Media Center | Friday, October 23 | FREE – Enjoy music from locals Gast, Pfaffenberg and DJ Damon Allen, plus free refreshments at a one-night photography pop-up party. Texas-born filmmaker and photographer Bill Daniel will be showcasing his exhibit with 30 years worth of 35mm photographs. 7pm to 11pm.
- Community Market at Project Row Houses | Saturday, October 24 | FREE – Join a special edition of the PRH Community Market, where artists and
“artrepreneurs” explore different takes on community economics. Their site-specific installations will seek to find ways to protect neighborhoods facing gentrification. 4pm to 7pm.
- Monster Show Nine: Art Show and Market at Insomnia Video Game Culture | Saturday, October 24 | FREE – Insomnia slips into its Halloween duds by bringing you some of the best artists in Houston drawing monsters on paper in this free week-long exhibition. 7pm to 11pm.
- Cast of Characters Calendar Launch by Dennis Nance at Box 13 Artspace | Saturday, October 31 | FREE – Featuring a homemade costume for every month of the year, Nance celebrates the absurdity of the everyday in Cast of Characters. Pre-order a calendar by October 16 to guarantee yourself a copy and celebrate the launch in costume with Box 13 Artspace on Halloween. 1pm to 5pm.