Make the most of your month with our list of our 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during October 2015.
October is finally here in Houston. That means a full month of fall festivals, Texans games, drinking beer like you’re in Munich, pumpkin carving, World Series playoffs (hopefully), dressing in your most clever or terrifying costume, the return of the NBA season, haunted houses and pumpkin spice flavored everything. There’s a lot happening, and we’re here to help with a handy guide of events happening all month long.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in the order they begin during the month of October.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston October 2015
- Oktoberfest Celebrations around Houston | Select Dates October 1 through Saturday, October 24 – Can’t make it to Munich for Oktoberfest this year? Not to worry! There are plenty of opportunities for you to drink beer, dress up in your dirndl or lederhosen, eat pretzels and listen to polka music as area restaurants and bars celebrate Oktoberfest in Houston.
- Halloween Parties and Events Around Houston | Starts Thursday, October 1 – Whether you’re looking for a friendly event for the kids, a haunted house that will scare the living daylights out of you or a raging costume party to let loose at, there will be plenty to choose from on our upcoming lists of kid-friendly Halloween events and Halloween parties for adults. (Our Halloween lists will be published by Monday, October 5. Until then, click here to see the Halloween-related events that have already been added to our event calendar).
- The Original Greek Festival at Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral | Thursday, October 1 to Sunday, October 4 – Featuring Greek music, food and folk dancing, and an Athenian playground for the kids, Houston’s longest running Greek Festival is fun for the whole family.
- Twenty One Pilots and Echosmith in Concert at Revention Music Center | Friday, October 2 – See music duo Twenty One Pilots in concert with Indie pop group Echosmith during this sold out show at Revention Music Center.
- Buffalo Bayou Park Grand Opening | Saturday, October 3 – Celebrate, create and recreate at the grand opening of newly transformed Buffalo Bayou Park. Guests can enjoy live music, kid’s crafts, walking tours, food, a walking procession and a fireworks display.
- Sun’s Resolution with DJ Sun at Asia Society Texas Center | Saturday, October 3 – Hear a multi-media performance from DJ Sun as he looks back over four generations of his family history from China to the West during this performance at Asia Society Texas Center.
- Walk the Moon in Concert at Revention Music Center | Tuesday, October 6 – Shut Up and Dance during the Walk the Moon concert – part of their Talking is Hard Tour – at Revention Music Center.
- Houston Texans vs Indianapolis Colts at NRG Stadium | Thursday, October 8 – Get loud for the Texans during their only home game in October. They’ll take on the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday night football.
- Houston Italian Festival at University of St. Thomas | Thursday, October 8 to Sunday, October 11 – Enjoy a weekend of music, contests and family fun, complete with a grape stomp, bocce tournament, pasta-eating contest, Italian folk dancing, kids activities and more during the 37th Annual Houston Italian Festival.
- Bayou City Arts Festival in Downtown | Saturday, October 10 and Sunday, October 11 – Head downtown to enjoy the work of more than 300 artists, plus explore music, food and creative zones in this festival presented by the Art Colony Association.
- Southern Smoke Street Party Fundraiser in Montrose | Sunday, October 11 – Enjoy BBQ from Aaron Franklin, Sean Brock, Rodney Scott, Chris Shepherd, Justin Yu and more, wine, beer, music from Folk Family Revival during this epic street party that takes over Underbelly, Hay Merchant and Blackhole, plus their parking lots and Waugh Drive between them. The event is a fundraiser for the National MS Society.
- Ziegenbock Music Festival at Sam Houston Race Park | Saturday, October 17 – The Ziegenbock Music Festival brings 20 country artists and bands together to perform on three different stages. Hear from artists like Kevin Fowler, Robert Earl Kean, Wade Bowen and Randy Rogers Band.
- A Night at Market Square in Downtown | Saturday, October 17 – Market Square Park is celebrating its fifth anniversary with live music, the premiere of The HOU Show with Mills and Antoine and food and drink vendors in the park.
- Tacolandia at Buffalo Bayou Park | Saturday, October 24 – Chow down on taco samples from local chefs and enjoy live music and a cash bar during this event presented by Houston Press.
- Rockets Regular Season Opener: Houston Rockets vs Denver Nuggets at Toyota Center | Wednesday, October 28 – Cheer the Rockets on during their first regular season game against the Nuggets at the Toyota Center.