Make the most of your month with our list of our 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during August 2015.
August is anything but boring in Houston, TX. We have the must-attend end-of-summer staples: Houston Restaurant Weeks, White Linen Night, the Houston Texans’ preseason and the Theater District Open House, joined by new events like a Houston-based interactive mystery, cocktail competition, the infamous Hot Undies Run, and Sam Smith in concert to round out this month in H-Town.
Continue reading to see our list of the top 15 things to do in Houston in August 2015.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in the order they start during the month of August with the daily option closing out the list.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston August 2015
- Houston Restaurant Weeks 2015 | Daily – Houston’s best restaurants are at it again offering special prix fixe menus and pricing throughout the month with a portion of sales going to the Houston Food Bank.
- Hot Undies Run in Rice Village | Saturday, August 1 – Run through Rice Village in your skivvies during this 2 mile pub run that raises money for Undies for Everyone and the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- White Linen Night in The Heights | Saturday, August 1 – Don your lightest white apparel and take a stroll through the Houston Heights to browse and enjoy delicious bites, pop up shopping booths and live music from area businesses during White Linen Night.
- Houston Texans Training Camp at Houston Methodist Training Center | Saturday, August 1 through Wednesday, August 19 – See your favorite Texans prepare for the gridiron during select open practice days through mid August.
- Make Cocktails Not War at Stone’s Throw | Sunday, August 2 – Watch bartenders from around the city sling cocktails during this 70s inspired competition at Stone’s Throw.
- Sundown at the Grove above Discovery Green | Every Wednesday – Enjoy weekly pairings of great food and craft beer throughout August, featuring Cider Night on Wednesday, August 5, followed by brews from Belgium, Sierra Nevada and Freetail.
- End of the Summer Tailgate in Katy | Friday, August 14 – Katy residents are invited to enjoy an evening of street dancing, tunes, local refreshments, a Hot Wing cook-off contest and the “Taste of Katy” local restaurant contest and more during this end of summer bash.
- Sam Smith in Concert at Toyota Center | Friday, August 14 – Grammy Award-winning U.K. artist Sam Smith is on tour bringing hits from his debut album In The Lonely Hour to Houston.
- Houston Texans Preseason Kick Off at NRG | Saturday, August 15 – Kick off the Texans’ preseason at their opening game against the San Francisco 49ers, the first of 10 home games at NRG Stadium between now and Sunday, January 3, 2016.
- Downward Dog Days of Summer at Karbach Brewing Co. | Sunday, August 16 – Stretch your dollar during this yoga class that includes Karbach brews and a live DJ and benefits veterans through Expedition Balance.
- Magnolia City An Immersive 1920s Murder Mystery at Prohibition Supperclub and Bar | Sunday Evenings starting Sunday, August 16 – Mix and mingle with flappers, leading Houstonians and celebrity VIPs of the day at this interactive murder mystery event in a 1926 speakeasy, with live vocal performances by the Moonlight Dolls.
- Chris Shepherd on Vietnam at Asia Society Texas Center | Wednesday, August 19 – Listen to Underbelly Chef Chris Shepherd’s experiences from a recent culinary trip through Vietnam during this event at Asia Society Texas Center.
- Flick & Float in La Porte by the Bay | Friday, August 21 | FREE – Grab your floaties and relax in the Little Cedar Bayou Wave Pool while watching Finding Nemo on the big screen.
- Pearland Wine & Food Festival | Saturday, August 29 – This annual festival brings Texas-based wineries, local food and music together for a flavorful event.
- Theater District Open House | Sunday, August 30 | FREE – This free day of music, dance, theater and more kicks off the performing arts season in Houston’s Theater District.