Make the most of your week with our top event picks happening in Houston from Monday, July 13 to Sunday, July 19, 2015.
Enjoy everything from whiskey and watermelon to grub from local food trucks during various events around Houston this week. If live music is more your scene, Imagine Dragons’ Smoke + Mirrors Tour and Nicki Minaj’s Pinkprint Tour will both make appearances at the Toyota Center this week.
Continue reading to see the list of our top 13 events happening this week. And if you’re looking for more great stuff throughout the month, be sure to check out our top 15 things to do in Houston in July 2015.
Top 12 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Dave Broom Book Signing & Whisky Tasting at Reserve 101 | Monday, July 13 – Meet internationally recognized whisky connoisseur, author, spokesman and tastemaker Dave Broom on his very first visit to Texas and join him for a tasting of Scotland’s finest at this exclusive event. This is the third and final event of Reserve’s unofficial “Christmas in July” series of tastings. $30; $20 for a signed copy of his book The World Atlas of Whisky. 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Bastille Day Dinner at Étoile Cuisine et Bar | Tuesday, July 14 – Étoile‘s Master Chef of France Philippe Verpiand is joined by Guest Chef Jose Hernandez of Radio Milano to prepare a four-course prix-fixe menu in celebration of France’s national holiday commemorating the start of the French Revolution. Reservations highly recommended. 5pm to 10pm.
- Smokey Joe’s Cafe at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Tuesday, July 14 to Sunday, July 19 – Hear over 40 of Rock ‘n Roll’s greatest hits during this free performance of Smokey Joe’s Cafe – a tribute to legendary songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. 8:15pm daily.
- Gastronomy Experiment Workshop for Kids at Kendall Neighborhood Library | Wednesday, July 15 | FREE – Let your kids make dry ice cream during this free workshop that explores gastronomy with Pop Shop Houston. 3pm to 5pm.
- Houston World Series of Dog Shows at NRG Center | Wednesday, July 15 to Sunday, July 19 – Talented canines will showcase their skills for all to see during this dog show that features seminars, exhibitions and shopping. $15; $10 for seniors 55 and older; free for children 12 and younger. 9am to 3pm Wednesday; 8am to 8pm Thursday to Sunday.
- 92¢ Original Coneys at James Coney Island Grill | Thursday, July 16 – Grab JCI’s original coney for less than a dollar at any Houston area location and celebrate the restaurant group’s 92nd anniversary.
- Imagine Dragons in Concert at Toyota Center | Thursday, July 16 – Grammy Award-winning rock band Imagine Dragons will perform at the Toyota Center on their Smoke + Mirrors Tour. Tickets start at $35, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site.7:30pm.
- Watermelon Festival in Hempstead | Friday, July 17 and Saturday, July 18 – Hempstead’s 26th Annual Watermelon Festival includes a BBQ cook off, cake decorating contest, dog show, parade and lots of watermelon eating. 10am Friday; 7am Saturday.
- 4th Annual Asian Summer Food Festival & Night Market at Hong Kong City Mall | Friday, July 17 to Sunday, July 19 | FREE – Celebrate Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean and Thai culture during this festival of food, music and entertainment at Hong Kong City Mall. 6pm to 11pm nightly.
- Best Damn Food Truck Festival Ever at NRG Park | Saturday, July 18 – Gather ‘round your favorite restaurant on wheels during the Best Damn Food Truck Festival Ever for beer, music and made-to-order food.
- Nicki Minaj in Concert at Toyota Center | Saturday, July 18 – Rapper and singer-songwriter Nicki Minaj’s Pinkprint Tour will make its first stops in Texas after touring Europe and will fill the Toyota Center on July 18. Tickets start at $30, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- Julydoscope at Discovery Green | Saturday, July 18 | FREE – Dance performances, film screenings and art come together for this event put on by the Houston Cinema Arts Society. 7pm to 10pm.