Make the most of your week with our top event picks happening in Houston from Monday, July 6 to Sunday, July 12, 2015.
Get the kids out of the house this week in Houston. From a Japanese Festival at the Children’s Museum to a free movie screening at CityCentre, there’s plenty to keep the little rascals busy. For the adults, there’s a special champagne dinner, a special craft whiskey tasting at Reserve 101 and the chance to see Anthony Bourdain live. Oh, and did we mention that the Circus is in town? That’s a show that pleases all ages.
Scroll down to see the list of our top events happening this week. And if you’re looking for more great stuff throughout the month, be sure to check out our top 15 things to do in Houston in July 2015.
Top 10 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Maná in Concert at Toyota Center | Tuesday, July 7 – Latin band Maná kicked off their Cama Incendiada Tour this summer and will head to Houston on July 7. The pop rock band will perform a live concert at the Toyota Center in Downtown Houston. Tickets start at $100, but you may find cheaper or better seats on the TicketNetwork or Ticket Monster resale site. 8pm.
- Tanabata Star Festival at the Children’s Museum of Houston | Tuesday, July 7 – Celebrate the Tanabata Japanese Star Festival with activities for the whole family at the Children’s Museum of Houston. Traditional dances will be performed, stories will be read in English and Japanese and children will go home with a mini version of a traditional storybook known as Kamishibai. $10; $9 for seniors and military personnel; free for members and children one and under. 10am to 6pm.
- Children’s Writing Workshop at IKEA | Tuesday, July 7 | FREE – WITS is putting on a free writing workshop – designed for children aged 7 to 15 – at IKEA. Stick around after the workshop to browse the store and take advantage of kids eat free Tuesdays. 2pm to 3pm.
- Balcones Distilling Whiskey Tasting at Reserve 101 | Tuesday, July 7 – Join the award-winning whiskey maker’s head distiller Jared Himstedt for a special tasting six of Balcones craft whiskies. The event is the second of three in Reserve 101’s informal “Christmas in July” whiskey tasting series. All proceeds support Lucky Dog Rescue. $20.
- Champagne Dinner at Mockingbird Bistro | Wednesday, July 8 – Enjoy passed bites, three courses and a cheese plate from Houston Dairymaids during this special dinner at Mockingbird Bistro. Each course will be paired with Perrier-Jouët or G.H. Mumm champagne. $125. 6:30pm to 9pm
- Anthony Bourdain Live at Jones Hall | Wednesday, July 8 – Anthony Bourdain – chef, author and TV personality – is heading to Houston for a night of entertainment at Jones Hall. His 2015 North American Tour Close to the Bone will include stories about his career and travels and will conclude with a Q&A with the audience. Tickets start at $43, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork or Ticket Monster’s resale sites. 7:30pm.
- Moonlight Movies for Kids at CityCentre | Wednesday, July 8 | FREE – Dress the kids in their favorite prince or princess costume and bring them to CityCentre to watch Disney’s Cinderella. Enjoy complimentary popcorn and enter the kids in the costume contest before the movie begins at 9pm. 8pm.
- Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey’s Legends a NRG Stadium | Starts Thursday, July 9 – Get tickets to The Greatest Show on Earth when the Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey come through town with their Legends show. Expect a magical evening with the whole family during this production at NRG Stadium. Tickets start at $15, but you may find cheaper or better seats on the TicketNetwork or Ticket Monster resale sites. 7:30pm to 9:30pm Thursday and Friday; 11:30am to 1:30pm, 3:30pm to 5:30pm and 7:30pm to 9:30pm Saturday and Sunday.
- CONCACAF Gold Cup Doubleheader at BBVA Compass Stadium | Saturday, July 11 – Watch Group B of the CONCACAF Gold Cup compete in a doubleheader at BBVA Compass Stadium. Jamaica and Canada will play first, followed by Costa Rica vs. El Salvador. Tickets start at $30. You may find better or cheaper seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market. 5:30pm.
Rath Yatra Indian Festival at Discovery Green | Saturday, July 11 | FREE – Immerse yourself in India, the land of mystery and magic, during the Greater Houston Rath Yatra Indian Festival at Discovery Green. Blending culture, spirituality, devotion, food, dance, music and the spirit of India, this festival allows guests to explore the land known for its diverse culture, rich traditions and exotic heritage. 6pm to 10pm.