Each week “My Top 5” showcases an enterprising and creative Houstonian who has directly shaped the character and personalty of greater Houston and reveals their own favorite things to do in their downtime. This week, we are extremely pleased to feature Houston’s own “Mattress Mack,” Jim McIngvale, founder of retail institution Gallery Furniture, which recently opened a third location on Grand Parkway in Fort Bend County.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale
- Breakfast at Kenny and Ziggy’s – I love to eat healthy, and their fresh, made-to-order and incredibly delicious breakfast hits the spot. I typically have eight egg whites, salsa and some grilled vegetables, depending on what’s available that day. It’s great for those who prefer a healthy breakfast, lunch or dinner like I do. But they have plenty more traditional options, like their amazing french toast. Kenny and Ziggy’s is a great restaurant that I highly recommend. I may even see you there!
- Talking to and learning from the legendary doctors at the Texas Medical Center – My personal involvement in heart health projects and their mobile stroke unit have led to dozens of great learning experiences for myself, my family and top employees who have had the opportunity to visit with me. It’s always fascinating to learn from some of Houstons’ brightest minds and I’m always incredibly grateful for the opportunity to do so.
- Speaking to Houston area civic groups, schools and companies – Over the last 30 plus years, I’ve given literally thousands of speeches in the Houston area, on topics ranging from customer service, work ethic, entrepreneurship, helping kids plan for their bright futures and more. Just like meeting customers at our North Freeway Gallery Furniture, making speeches gives me the opportunity to meet and learn both one-on-one and in group settings from many great Houstonians of all age groups. I’m delighted to have someone tell me how much they enjoyed hearing me speak and often recounting when I last spoke to their group. I’m always interested in more speaking engagements. Anyone interested in having me speak may reach me directly at [email protected] with the details of their request.
- Sunday service at Assumption Catholic Church – Located less than 10 minutes from our 6006 North Freeway Gallery Furniture, i have been a member of and attending services at Assumption Catholic Church for as long as Gallery has been in existence. I met many great friends there and have heard thousands of amazing sermons, it is my home away from home.
- Dinner at Del Frisco’s at the Galleria – I don’t eat out a lot. More than 95% of my meals are the same food my employees eat at our restaurant at the North Freeway Gallery Furniture. But when i do go out for dinner, I love eating at Del Frisco’s. Great service, great food, great atmosphere, wonderful customers and staff. If you’re looking for a great steakhouse for a night out with your significant other, family and friends or a business dinner, Del Frisco’s is a great option in the Galleria area.
About Jim McIngvale
Best known around Houston as “Mattress Mack” and to those who know him as Mack, Jim McIngvale founded Gallery Furniture in 1981. His devotion to his customers and larger-than-life advertising quickly made him a household name across the greater Houston area. Mack is committed to both his family and to Houston. Among his many philanthropic contributions, he funded the St. Luke’s Mobile Stroke Unit, has contributed more than $4 million to the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, is a significant supporter of medical research and campuses, and has continued to support many other causes and activities. Mack was sure to stress to us that, although he truly loves everything on his My Top 5 list, his most favorite thing is visiting with his customers. “The proof of this is in the hours – I have spent most of my life inside this building because this is my life, this is where i want to be,” Mack explained. “I love spending time with our great customers and helping them to find the furniture of their dreams that will make their house the perfect Houston area home.”