Spend an evening on the hillside and take in stirring classical favorites as the Houston Symphony performs in the Summer Symphony Nights 2014 concert series at Miller Outdoor Theatre from Thursday, June 18 through Saturday, July 4, 2015.
The Houston Symphony returns to the Miller, with featured conductors and artists to present its annual summer concert series, with five unique musical programs.
- Thursday, June 18 – Conductor Gergely Madaras leads guest violinist Eduardo Rios, gold medalist of the Sphinx Competition, in a program featuring Kodaly’s “Peacock Variations,” Mendelssohn’s “Violin Concerto” and Dvorak’s “Symphony No. 8.”
- Saturday, June 20 – Conductor Karina Canellakis leads the program, with guest pianist Charlie Albright joining the Houston Symphony, performing Dvorak’s “Carnival Overture,” Gershwin’s “Piano Concerto in F” and Rachmaninoff’s “Symphonic Dances.”
- Friday, June 26 – Conductor Robert Franz leads Houston Symphony musicians in a Chinese-inspired program featuring Liu/Mao’s Dance of the Yao People, Smetana’s The Molda, Griffes’ “Opus 8” from The Pleasure Dome of Kubla Khan, Han’s “Qilian Rhapsody for Pipa and Orchestra” and Debussy’s “La Mer.” Featured guest performer Changlu Wu accompanies on the pipa, also known as the Chinese lute.
- Saturday, June 27 – Featuring clarinetist Bixby Kennedy, silver medalist of the Ima Hogg Competition, this program led by conductor Anu Tali features selections from Shostakovich’s Gadfly Suite, Elgar’s “Enigma Variations” and a concerto performed by Kennedy.
- Saturday, July 4 – Summer Symphony Nights goes full Americana at the Star Spangled Salute, a patriotic program led by Designate Steven Reineke capped off by the “1812 Overture and fireworks.
Summer Symphony Nights at Miller Outdoor Theatre
- Dates: Select nights from Thursday, June 18 through Saturday, July 4, 2015
- Times: 8:30pm each night
- Location: Miller Outdoor Theatre, 6000 Hermann Park Dr, Houston, TX 77030
- Admission: Free. Spots on the hillside are available, first-come, first-served. Free tickets are also available for the covered seating area. Free tickets are available (four per person over age 16 while they last) at the Miller Outdoor Theatre box office the day of the performance between from 10:30am to 1pm. If tickets remain at 1pm, the box office will re-open one hour before show time to distribute the remaining tickets.