At the top of each week “My Top 5” showcases enterprising and creative Houstonians making things happen in H-Town, revealing their favorite things to do in their down time. This week, we’re very pleased to Alan Austin, General and Artistic Director of the Texas Music Festival, who shares some of his favorites inside and outside the Loop.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Alan Austin
- James Turrell Skyspace at Live Oak Friends Meeting House – I love stopping by the installation at the Live Oak Friends Meeting House. This Turrell Skyspace was built before the more elaborate one at Rice University, and there’s something so magical about it within the context of the very Zen Friends meeting house.
- Evensong Service – Evensong is the most beautiful service in the Anglican (Episcopal) church. It offers a wonderfully contemplative setting where music, readings and prayer all combine in a very personal offering of worship.
- Gatlin’s BBQ – Houston has some of the best barbecue around and Gatlin’s is always a solid choice. Gatlin’s has the best brisket in town, no two ways about it. Gatlin’s seems to show up on every best BBQ list for the last few years.
- Houston Museums – Houston’s great light, booming economy, and relatively low cost of living means that artists settle in Houston, so our galleries and museums are first class. If you want to wow your NY friends, visit the Menil Collection, the MFAH, and the various pockets of galleries around town.
- Boat Tours – A boat tour of the Houston Ship Channel are always perfect for a day out in the summer. These free tours provided by the Port of Houston are guaranteed to show you a part of our town that most people never see. Where else do we normally go where pictures aren’t allowed for national security reasons? How exciting is that?
About Alan Austin
Alan Austin is the General and Artistic Director of the Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival. He is also a Baroque violinist and performs regularly throughout the Southwest and with the Grammy-nominated Ars Lyrica Houston. He has recorded for several record labels.