Break out Google Maps and hit the road. It’s the perfect time for a quick getaway and get in a great summer road trip from Houston.
Get out of dodge for a bit and head to some favorite road trip spots from Houston outward. From wide open west Texas to all the revelry in NOLA, here are five great summer road trips.
More about summer road trips from Houston
- New Orleans – A popular destination for Houstonians, the all day/all night partying attracts vacationers for a weekend of good food, strong drinks, history, culture, and a rest (so to speak) from daily life. Head east about 5 hours on I-10 for summer events like the Cajun Zydeco Festival, Satchmo Summer Fest, and plenty of live music.
- Marfa and Big Bend – Clean and airy, West Texas pulls in explorers with its pretty landscapes and non-stop adventures. Make a stop in art-friendly Marfa and set up a glamping weekend or head to Big Bend National Park for a look at the Old West.
- Carthage – Take a peek behind the pine curtain at the sleepy East Texas town, known as being where the South begins. The Gas Capital is home to the Texas Country & Western Hall of Fame and the Piney Woods Quilt Festival.
- Austin – An obvious choice for a weekend getaway, the Hill Country destination is perfect for those wanting to hike, bike, party, eat, create, and anything else you can imagine. Plus, if you’re from Houston, you’ve been to Austin at least a dozen times in the past couple years, so you get the drill.
- Monahans Sandhills State Park – Pack up the family and a set of ATVs and head to the sand dune-covered part of the state. The west Texas outdoor haven is home to almost 4,000 acres of rolling sandhills, perfect for a weekend of roughing it.