Each week, we highlight a Houstonian who’s helping to make and shape culture in our city and reveal what she loves to do in her time off in “My Top 5.” This week, we’re very pleased to feature Gracie Chavez, who co-founded and DJs Bombón, Houston’s hottest tropical dance party, and share her deep dive into her favorite spots in Houston.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Gracie Chavez
- 19th Street – I grew up not far from the Heights area and have seen 19th Street’s wonderful growth over the years. Some of the places I like to frequent are Boomtown Coffee or nearby Downhouse, which is a great place for Sunday brunch. While I’m in the area, I enjoy browsing the Mexican folk art and literature at Casa Ramirez and enjoy digging for records at Vinal Edge. White Linen Nights are especially fun in the summertime when every shop on the street welcomes visitors, artists and musicians for a really cool block party.
- Market Square – Downtown’s Market Square area is fun and lively, and offers a mix of bars, cafes and your occasional fests and concerts. I can catch a Suffers show, grab a gyro sandwich at Niko Niko’s, then head over to Little Dipper for a Lone Star night cap. At Pastry War I always opt for Margaritas de la Casa over their mescal version.
- Westheimer Curve – I also spent some time living in the Montrose area and still miss its diversity and charm to this day. But I visit as often as I can. Hands down, Boondocks is one of my favorite places to go to (and DJ) because the music is so open and the dancefloor is anything goes. Some of my favorite nights I love dancing my butt off to include Top Notch, Blackout and Kinda Super Disco. On more low-key nights, I enjoy vodka cocktails and people watching at Poison Girl, or grabbing a burger and local brew on tap at Hay Merchant.
- MKT Bar/Phoenicia – Only a block away from Discovery Green downtown, MKT Bar is a great spot to catch your favorite local celeb spinning for Vinyl Night. You can grab a gourmet appetizer or tasty wrap at Phoenicia, the adjacent food market, and relax with a glass of wine and good company for MKT Bar’s happy hour. Plus, their parking garage makes the hassle of Downtown parking the last thing you think of!
- Tiger Den – I absolutely love spending my Sundays with good friends enjoying great food. One of my favorite places to visit is the Bellaire/Sharpstown area. With so many great restaurants like Fu Fu’s, Sinh Sinh and Jones Fried Chicken to choose from, ramen noodle house Tiger Den stands out above the rest. Although they open at 5pm on Sundays and there’s usually a wait to get seated, the Spicy Miso Ramen with an extra egg is so worth the wait!
About Gracie Chavez
Gracie Chavez is the co-founder and DJ of Houston’s hottest tropical dance party, Bombón, who are pioneering a new cumbia movement in Texas. She and her crew were nominated for Best Club DJ/Night in 2013 and 2014 by Houston Press. A veteran DJ of the Houston area, Gracie also co-hosts Son Pacifica Radio featuring emerging independent Latin artists on KPFT FM. And she’s also the founding DJ workshop instructor for Girls Rock Camp Houston. Gracie and Bombón are working on their album debut scheduled for release this Spring on Discos Peligrosa. Follow Gracie and the Bombón crew on Facebook for details on upcoming shows and events.