See 21 of Houston’s favorite chefs battle for the winning title at the first-ever Houston Truffle Chef of the Year Competition at National Tree and Shrub on Monday, January 12, 2015 from 6:30pm to 9:30pm.
Amid the setting of the popular nursery in the Heights, attendees will be able to sample the truffle dishes of more than 20 notable Houston area chefs while sipping on wine from a variety of vendors.
In addition to the title and bragging rights, the winning chef of the elegant and fun-filled evening competition will receive a trophy and a one kilogram (2.2 pounds) of fresh black truffles.
There will also be a silent auction for a dinner for four at participating chefs’ restaurants, as well as a VIP raffle. Raffle tickets are an additional $25 or five for $100.
All funds go to support Les Dames d’Escoffier Scholarship Program, providing support for culinary students at Le Notre Culinary Institute and Houston Art Institute Culinary Arts Program.
- David Denis | executive chef at Le Mistral
- Elizabeth Stone | executive chef at Silver Stone Events
- Efisio Farris | executive chef at Arcodoro
- Steve Haug | chef at Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steakhouse
- Kenneth Burke | chef de cuisine at Ibiza
- Philippe Verpiand | owner and chef at Etoile Cuisine et Bar
- Olivier Ciesielski | owner and chef at L’Olivier
- Michael Pellegrino | executive chef at Max’s Wine Dive
- Manuel Pucha | executive chef at Table
- David Skinner | executive chef at Eculent
- Kris Jacob | owner and chef at Kris Bistro
- Kiran Verma | owner and chef at Kiran’s Indian Cuisine
- Brandi Key | Executive Chef, Coppa Osteria and Punk’s
- Javier Lopez | sous chef at Brennan’s of Houston
- John Michael Lynch | executive chef at Ristaurante Cavour at Granduca
- Jason Grigar | chef at Urban Eats
- Fritz Gitschner | owner and chef at 60 Degrees Mastercrafted
- Aaron Allen | sous chef at The Inn at Dos Brisas
- David Cordúa | executive chef at Américas and Cordua Restaurants
- Arturo Boada | owner and chef at Arturo Boada Cuisine
- Addison Lee | executive chef at KUU
Entries will be judged by Houston food and travel writer extraordinaire Mai Pham, radio host Cleverly Stone, award-winning cookbook and fiction author John Demers, Houston-based French chef Jacques Fox, Houston Chronicle food editor Greg Morago, Culturemap food writer Eric Sandler and ABC KTRK-TV reporter and anchor Katherine Whaley.
Houston Truffle Chef of the Year Competition
- Date: Monday, January 12, 2015
- Time: 6:30pm to 9:30pm
- Location: National Tree & Shrub, 337 Yale St, Houston, TX 77007
- Admission: $125; $200 VIP. Click here to order tickets.