At the start of each week “My Top 5” turns the spotlight on a Houstonian making things happen in our city, who shares his own favorite ways to enjoy the city. This week, we’re pleased to hear from Neil Billingsley-Michaelsen, CEO of Triple Tap Ventures and the Houston area Alamo Drafthouse Cinema theaters.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Neil Billingsley-Michaelsen
- Buffalo Bayou Park – With Houston being known as the Bayou City, it’s not surprising that our bayous are one-of-a-kind. What the city of Houston is currently doing with the restoration of Buffalo Bayou Park is incredible, new trails and renovations are taking place along the bayou, and pretty soon, it will rival Town Lake in Austin. Whether it’s going for a run, riding bikes with my family, or taking a walk with my wife, the trails around the bayou are the perfect place to take in Houston’s natural beauty.
- Craft Beer Destinations – Houston’s locally crafted beer scene is awesome. Saint Arnold, Karbach and No Label are a few of my favorite breweries. Whether it’s the different brewer’s seasonal beers to their staple brews, you can’t go wrong when you’re drinking any of our local beer. Not only can you visit the actual breweries around the Greater Houston area to see how your favorite brew is made, you can also enjoy many of them while watching a movie at Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas Houston, as we proudly serve many local beers on tap.
- The Menil Collection – The Menil is one of the best places to see art in Houston. Its modern architecture and serene setting is an awesome destination on a beautiful day with your friends or family. I am really excited that the Bistro Menil has opened and can’t wait to try it.
- Professional Sports –Houston is a great city to be a sports fan. We have a strong and diverse professional sports team presence with the Astros (hope they win more games), the Texans, the Rockets (a Houston institution) and the Dynamo. We have world-class stadiums to watch the games and great fans and supporters of the teams. Just need to win some more championships!
- Crave Cupcakes – Crave has been my favorite dessert destination in Houston. Ever since my first Coconut Cupcake, I’ve been hooked and enjoy these delicious treats for special occasions such as my wedding, office birthdays and as a simple way to make my family’s weekend a little sweeter.
About Neil Billingsley-Michaelsen
Neil Billingsley-Michaelsen is CEO of Triple Tap Ventures LLC, which has owned Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Houston area theaters since fall 2009. Currently, Alamo Drafthouse entertains Houston audiences at Vintage Park Shopping Village and off Mason Road in Katy. The company announced plans for an additional theater inside the Loop in the highly anticipated Regent Square development in River Oaks at West Dallas and Dunlavy. The firm is also growing the Alamo Drafthouse brand in West Texas. Neil had almost 20 years of corporate finance and management experience covering a wide range of industries including real estate and investment banking. He lives in Houston with his wife and twin sons.