Dine or drink al fresco at nine of Greater Houston’s best patios for spending time in the great outdoors.
Ah, Houston. The Energy Capital of the World. A place for movers and shakers. A hub for the creative class. World-class eats. Internationally renowned arts. Six months of blistering summer.
Houston’s patio season is in full swing this spring. The temperatures are mild, the sun still shines, and summer isn’t here just yet. Get on out to one of these great spots. Whether it’s drinks or dinner or people watching, patio time is the best time in the city.
9 of Houston’s Best Patios
- Batanga – The ground-level views of Downtown’s Market Square are stunning. The happy hour menu is a winner. (Word to the wise: don’t miss the ribs). The Latin-influenced cocktail list is excellent. It all adds up to Batanga offering a perfect patio experience.
- Canyon Creek Café – From the team who brought you Onion Creek Coffee House and Dry Creek Café, Canyon Creek continues the trend of relaxed atmosphere with great food and drink. Grab a cup of coffee and order up West End Migas, and sit outside to start off your day…or end it with a Big Nasty burger, sitting outside and watching the world go by.
- The Grove – Sweeping views of the Downtown skyline and situated in the relaxed atmosphere of Discovery Green Park, The Grove is a must for patio lovers. What else? The food is excellent, with deviled eggs that are to die for and a bacon-wrapped quail that’s off the charts. And those are just the appetizers. Come in, kick back and watch the sun set over the city.
- Paul’s Kitchen – This new place from owner Paul Miller and Executive Chef Paul Lewis boasts locally produced, globally inspired fare. Check out the Country Plate, an array of hummus, marinated feta cheese, house-made pimento cheese and ham, or the BBQ shrimp, which arrives with charred sourdough bread, both signature dishes.
- Sylvia’s Enchilada Kitchen – When you want Tex-Mex comfort food in a sweet setting, this is where you go. The Queen of Enchilada’s spot on Woodway offers a laid-back atmosphere where you can catch the warming afternoon rays of autumn, and enjoy a signature margarita and a menu packed with options. Will you have a tamale flight? An appetizer of Picamole? How about quail from the South Texas Mesquite Wood Grill? Decisions, decisions…
- The Tasting Room CityCentre – The wrap-around patio here offers views of bustling CityCentre. With one of the most impressive wine lists in Houston, this Lasco Enterprises spot is a great place to kick back and chill out after work. Bonus: after that killer Cab or sassy Sancerre, you can catch a movie at Studio Movie Grill. Patio time in Houston also coincides with that time Hollywood shelves the shoot-‘em-up summer action flicks for story-driven plotlines you’ll see nominated for Academy Awards. This is a win-win combination.
- Watson’s House of Ales – In the heart of the Energy Corridor, this sister establishment to Sherlock’s Baker Street Pub is the perfect spot to wind down. You’ll find a huge selections of beers from around the world, as well as familiar comfort food.
- West Alabama Ice House – This longtime favorite’s outdoor seating trends toward picnic tables under an awning, and the experience is Bayou City chill. Kick back with your favorite beer, and let the craziness of your day wash away with every sip.
- The West End Public House – The lively outdoor lounge at this sports bar is always hopping with everyone from young professionals to empty nesters enjoying a drink from the extensive menu of cocktails, wine and beer, or noshing on kicked up bar food. Whether it’s for happy hour, dinner or post-dinner drinks, this patio address is one to know.